Making Frosting Ahead

Baking By misse10 Updated 7 Nov 2014 , 1:04pm by ropalma

misse10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misse10 Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 7:37am
post #1 of 7

AI've made a monster batch of shortening buttercream for cupcakes I'll frost in Saturday. It's in the fridge in an airtight container. Will I need to re whip it before piping or can I out it straight in the piping bag?

I'm testing a few by freezing them frosted now. Could I put the purchased icing flowers on too or would they bleed/dissolve?

6 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 7

You should rewhip and I would not put the decorations on if you are planning on freezing the cupcakes.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 7

I usually freeze my monster batches of buttercream.  I don't really re-whip, but I do stir it with a spatula to get some of the air bubbles out and make it smoother for piping.  I've never frozen cupcakes with the frosting on.  

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 12:46am
post #4 of 7

AI also don't re-whip, but like FrostedMoon I let it come to room temperature and stir well. I have froze frosted cupcakes many, many times. Always come out fine. I've froze up to a month.... A-Ok.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 2:06am
post #5 of 7

I agree, it's not necessary to re-whip buttercream. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 3:56am
post #6 of 7

Stirring *WELL!* in small batches every 30 or so minutes in very necessary to get/keep out the air bubbles that develop.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 7

You guys are right,,,,I said rewhip but did not mean again in the blender.  It is like mimifix said I stir real well with my spatula.  :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%