Decorate Cake Pops?

Decorating By storestore Updated 10 Nov 2014 , 9:21pm by storestore

storestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 3:34am
post #1 of 7

Hi, all.  I'm new to the cake pop thing. I have read that I need to have oil based coloring for my melts or the mixture will seize up. I don't have any and I live in a small town - the nearest city is 2 hours away. So, I'm wondering if I can just use colored buttercream icing for now? I was hoping to wrap them in cellophane bags. Would the icing smear? Or could I just let the icing dry out and then bag them? Any other ideas as to what I can use? What if I dry out a little bit of wilton gel and mix it with the melts. Would that fix the seizing up problem? Thanks!

6 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 4:58am
post #2 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by storestore 

Hi, all.  I'm new to the cake pop thing. I have read that I need to have oil based coloring for my melts or the mixture will seize up. I don't have any and I live in a small town - the nearest city is 2 hours away.

amazon.com is your friend.

So, I'm wondering if I can just use colored buttercream icing for now?

Nope.

I was hoping to wrap them in cellophane bags. Would the icing smear?

Yes.

Or could I just let the icing dry out and then bag them? 

Nope.

Any other ideas as to what I can use?

Nope.

What if I dry out a little bit of wilton gel and mix it with the melts. Would that fix the seizing up problem?

Nope.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

:D

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 5:09am
post #3 of 7

I would think buttercream covered cakepops would be an absolute nightmare.  I honestly don't know if they would even stay on the stick.  I think you would be better off ordering from somewhere like Amazon or just using the color melts you have.  Sorry!

storestore Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 7

AI'm sorry I should have been more specific. I am coating them with melts but was hoping to pipe on a few decorative things with icing.

georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 7

AIf im piping on cake pops once they've been coated and not using candy melts to do it, I use royal icing.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, use royal icing so it dries hard and you can package them. Colored candy melts are great to pipe with... stock up when you get a chance!! I've found them for $1.99 each at Michaels when they go on sale.

storestore Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%