Trees And Number On Cake

Decorating By begincake Updated 6 Nov 2014 , 2:38am by kakeladi

begincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
begincake Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 4

I am a new baker and am making a construction cake I want to add some trees, what is the best way to do this? It can be any kind of tree.

Also I want to put the number 3 in the middle of the cake like a road so it will have either white or yellow lines in the middle. Can you give me some ideas on how to do this. I haven't used fondant and I don't have the tools for this, but if the nicest easiest way is to use fondant than I may do this, but I am looking for other ideas.

Thanks

3 replies
valerieb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieb52 Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 1:28am
post #2 of 4

AYou can make the number by mixing equal parts of fondant and gumpaste(50/50) and shape the number freehand since you know the size you need. The tree can be made by piping royal icing, either flat and vertical, stacking layers like Christmas trees, making each row smaller and smaller or cutting out progressive sizes of circles. There are soo much options. I have a site on Pinterest with about 3,000 tutorials under Valerie B on Gumpaste Tutorials,gumpaste flowers, etc. and other pinners. You are welcome to follow my board, but Pinterest is an ocean of ideas...go swim!!

georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 1:43am
post #3 of 4

AFor the trees, I like to use sugar cones and pipe the icing on with a small shell tip. For the number, you can find an image of one you like and print it off and then use it as a template to cut out the fondant with a sharp knife.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 2:38am
post #4 of 4

What georgiacakelady said  ^^. 

The easiest way to make the # is to cut a 'ribbon' of fondant and shape it by hand OR use the template method she described.

For the trees, yes use ice cream cones.  Cover them w/icing 'leaves' starting at the bottom piping a row around the base, then move up and start between 2 of the leaves you piped making another row around the cone; continue to the top.  I have used different tips for this: 74 (or 1 # before or after - depending on which one is smaller) or any leaf tip - 61 thru 68 or 352 etc.  (It's been a couple yrs since I've done any decorating so I can't remember the exact #s of the tips). 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%