Is It Okay To Use Store Bought Frosting Under Marshmallow Fondant?

Decorating By weird-one Updated 5 Nov 2014 , 9:58pm by weird-one

weird-one Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 6:36am
post #1 of 8

I'm not selling the cake, and the person who I'm giving it to doesn't care wether I use homemade buttercream or store bought frosting, they said they like the taste of store bought just fine. Can I use it under fondant? will the fondant stick to the frosting properly? I want to use store bought frosting because it's cheap :D

7 replies
sleaky77 Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 8:09am
post #2 of 8

Does store bought icing crust? I personally never have any luck using mmf over anything soft.

weird-one Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 8:18am
post #3 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleaky77 

Does store bought icing crust? I personally never have any luck using mmf over anything soft.

I'm not sure if it crusts..... when I bake a cake (just an 8x8 square from a box mix), I usually eat it plain. I have put store bought frosting on it before, but that's rare.

sleaky77 Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 8:30am
post #4 of 8

Sorry I can't be more help. I am a scratch baker, I tried to use SMBC the other day and it just squeezed out everywhere. I believe other people have better luck. Maybe I just need more practice :wink:

cai0311 Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 8

AThe icing doesn't have to crust to be used under fondant, but it does have to harden in the fridge. Otherwise the cake will be a lumpy mess and all the buttercream will ooze out the bottom when you are trying to cover it.

I quit using buttercream under fondant. Instead I use white chocolate ganache. Ganache holds up so much better to the weight of fondant than buttercream.

morganchampagne Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 8

AWhen you use SMBC under fondant you absoluteky must stick it in the fridge to harden it. All my cakes except one have been covered in a meringue buttercream and I never had any problems with sagging or anything,

As far as storebought frosting I'm not sure hit csn think of no reason why it wouldn't. Just roll it thin and make sure the cake is chilled before you cover it so that you csn really press and smooth

weird-one Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by cai0311 

The icing doesn't have to crust to be used under fondant, but it does have to harden in the fridge. Otherwise the cake will be a lumpy mess and all the buttercream will ooze out the bottom when you are trying to cover it.

I quit using buttercream under fondant. Instead I use white chocolate ganache. Ganache holds up so much better to the weight of fondant than buttercream.

Ok, thanks. Good to know I can use it :)

weird-one Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird-one 

Ok, thanks. Good to know I can use it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

When you use SMBC under fondant you absoluteky must stick it in the fridge to harden it. All my cakes except one have been covered in a meringue buttercream and I never had any problems with sagging or anything,

As far as storebought frosting I'm not sure hit csn think of no reason why it wouldn't. Just roll it thin and make sure the cake is chilled before you cover it so that you csn really press and smooth

Thanks. Yup, I'll chill the cake after its frosted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%