Help With Victoria Sponge Filling

Decorating By bgatty68 Updated 5 Nov 2014 , 12:53am by Natka81

bgatty68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgatty68 Posted 4 Nov 2014 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys i'm a newbie so just wanted to say hi to you all, and i have a question about my victoria sponges that i have been making  recently now the issue is the cream filling keeps spilling out down the side of the cake onto the stand it is on. I have tried to make the cream thicker, i make sure the sponges are cold before putting the jam and cream in, i have tried putting the jam on the bottom sponge first then the jam on top and vice versa, but the cream filling comes out, and when i say comes out i don't mean i have overfilled it and as i put the top sponge on it pours out, what happens is i put the filling (jam and cream)on the bottom sponge and at first the cake looks great but within 10-15mins the cream starts to fall out a little bit at a time, any advice would be most welcome.

I have only just started baking cakes in the last month and its only for my wife and daughter as i had some spare time and the first Voctoria Sponge never had this issue i just cant see im doing anything different, except i have changed the butter from stork to a cheaper supermarkets own brand.:smile:

2 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 4 Nov 2014 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 3

Are you using whipping cream or double cream? If it's whipping cream that could be the issue - less fat content makes it "weaker"....

Or are you using a buttercream type filling?

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 12:53am
post #3 of 3

AAre you using heavy whipping cream? IF yes, then is it just heavy whipping cream and sugar powder? The cake layers might be too heavy for this kind of filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%