Shop Inventory For Christmas- Need Ideas?

Business By luvscakes Updated 12 Nov 2015 , 5:04am by TheItalianBaker

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 12:16am
post #1 of 11

Hi there,

We opened our shop in May (Cakes and gourmet cupcakes) and currently sell way more cupcakes than I ever imagined (we were already established with cake clients so we still do cakes as well).

I'm trying to plan ahead for Christmas season and would like to stock our shop with some different things but I'm not sure what.... 

Books on cupcake decorating?

Gourmet Chocolates?

Cookies?

Candy?

I'm not really sure where to look, so suppliers, ideas, ANYTHING at this point would be helpful. 

Any help or ideas on this for me?

10 replies
JayJay23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayJay23 Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 12:43am
post #2 of 11

I think cookies would be a hit at Christmas time.

hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 11

How about tiny gingerbread houses for the holidays.  Gingerbread houses is one of my hobbies.  I learned cake decorating so I could play with food January through November.  

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 11

Beautiful hampers of varying size tricked out with ribbons cellophane and bows.  A bespoke hamper is a wonderful gift for a foodie or someone difficult to buy for.

Gingerbread houses are a great idea too but real luxury ones that wouldn't be out of place as a centrepiece.

There were amazing ones in the CC gallery, One caker had battery lights inside it and it was gorgeous.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 11

"Hampers?" That must be something else in Scotland. In the US, it is a large sized dirty clothes basket. 

johnson6ofus Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 11

Oops.. just googled it. A Scottish hamper is a "food gift basket" here in the US. 

cakebaby2 Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson6ofus 

"Hampers?" That must be something else in Scotland. In the US, it is a large sized dirty clothes basket. 

Yes with great dirty bottles of whisky spilling horribly out of the sides....they're horrible Johnson...just awful!

johnson6ofus Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 11

Cakebaby- send ME one. Google produced some awesome results! 

Yup, even Sams club has them... http://www.samsclub.com/sams/the-executive/prod11020737.ip  .

It is just amazing when "we speak the same language" and get funny results. Hey! Mukker!  :wink:

cakebaby2 Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 12:37am
post #9 of 11

I usually make them up with homemade jams and marmalades and elderflower cordial which I make every Spring, they are great for those people who are difficult to buy for, a lot of small tasty treats.....unfortunately I haven't got a still anymore so have to buy the whisky which is a crying shame Johnson 

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 12:25am
post #10 of 11

Haha! Thanks guys! I didn't see any of these until now. Being a shop owner has taken every minute of everyday! I was so confused about a hamper although my recent trip to HomeGoods showed me that there are some adorable hampers available- lol!

Last year, we did caramel corn/fudges/ect that I bought wholesale from another little biz- but it didn't sell very well. 

This year, I am making bark/fudge myself (I am a baker and decorator so doing candy is a challenge for me! We are also going to be selling more things like paper toppers, cards, cookies, we also do mini pies and full size pies. This stuff all sells well but it's hard to forecast sales and all this stuff goes bad so quickly. 

We finally have been able to afford a bit of help so I get to focus now a little more one running my biz instead of working in my biz :) 

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 5:04am
post #11 of 11

Chocolate and truffles don't basically go bad at all, so it could be a good option. 

Decorated sugar cookies? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%