How Do I Make This Pumpkin Cake??? Asap Help Needed

Decorating By whiteangel Updated 30 Oct 2014 , 10:27am by Edible Art Co

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 15

I have already made the cake using two bundt cakes.  I am just not sure how they built the areas around the mouth and eyes.  Any and all help would be appreciated.  I am making the cake today, so need quick help.  TIA

14 replies
georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 15

AMy guess would be that its rolled fondant and then covered with a very thin layer of fondant to cover.

whiteangel Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 15

That is what I am thinking or even cake mixed with b/c and 'glued' on there to shape.  I have stared at this cake for awhile till I am almost cross-eyed trying to figure it out. 

The rolled fondant, how would you 'glue' it to the cake to make it stick while covering the whole think with a fondant?  Fondant is heavy and I am thinking it will pull the 'shaping' off while laying the fondant on to cover the cake.

Told ya I was stumped.

Edible Art Co Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edible Art Co Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 15

You're right, it would be best to carve the shape out of the sponge itself and build it up with buttercream if needed. Nothing's going to slide/peel off then! If it doesn't need to be an exact copy, I would consider putting the face a little higher as well to be sure. Good luck! 

whiteangel Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 15

No it doesn't need to be an exact duplicate, just something like the image.  Making a 3 tier Halloween cake with a center pvc pole support.  Bottom will be the graveyard, center the pumpkin cake and the top haunted house.  Spiders will be climbing up the tiers to the house for the spooky look.  Going to try making spiders today, small ones, but I bet I end up using plastic ones, lol.    The big ones on the pumpkin will be made out of 50/50.

The carving would just cut into the cake making it less pumpkin shaped but it might have to be done with a little build up of cake/buttercream cement.  I don't know what the term is for it, you take your left over scraps of cake, mix it up with buttercream and it really works in building up areas on a cake.  Not as sturdy as RKT's but same principle.  But I don't think I can put too much on there as the main fondant covering would likely pull it off. 

Nothing like cake puzzles and getting flat out stumped.

Oh and a side note.  First time ever to work with pastillage.  Made a huge moon to go behind the haunted house.  Can't wait to see how it works out.  Made it yesterday and will flip it very carefully today and hopefully it will be totally dry tomorrow.

Edible Art Co Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 15

That sounds wonderful, so many things to try! You just reminded me that some people ice their cakes twice - this may help you seal some cake scraps/fondant on to it and hold it there. Chilling it between adding the layers should help 'set' it too. Do keep us updated, can't wait to know how the moon turns out - I haven't tried pastillage yet :)  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 15

What about using rice cereal treats to make those big lumpy areas?

whiteangel Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edible Art Co 

That sounds wonderful, so many things to try! You just reminded me that some people ice their cakes twice - this may help you seal some cake scraps/fondant on to it and hold it there. Chilling it between adding the layers should help 'set' it too. Do keep us updated, can't wait to know how the moon turns out - I haven't tried pastillage yet :)  

I will post a pic when I get it done.  I am going to try the scrap glue and see if that works.  I really want that goofy face or at least close to it.

melbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbakescakes Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 15

AI just came across this tutorial - maybe it will give you some ideas. Looks like the person just built it up with buttercream

http://thecakeblog.com/2014/10/kitty-cat-in-a-pumpkin-cake.html

whiteangel Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 15

Cool, thank you so very much.  I did the scrap build up, then buttercreamed it again.  Have it in the freezer and hopefully that will work.  I will let you know shortly. 

whiteangel Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 12:49am
post #11 of 15

That worked. I will post a pic tomorrow.

whiteangel Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 2:11am
post #12 of 15

Here is the pumpkin. 

melbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbakescakes Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 2:15am
post #13 of 15

AWow looks amazing!

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 4:20am
post #14 of 15

AWow that looks amazing!

Edible Art Co Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 10:27am
post #15 of 15

I like yours more, that vibrant orange is excellent - and I think its expression is more angry! Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%