Will Fondant With Tylose Dry Hard Enough To Hold Up It's Own Weight?

Decorating By louglou Updated 1 Nov 2014 , 4:45pm by louglou

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 10:01am
post #1 of 11

I know I have bombarded CC with questions recently, but I have just one more (for the moment).

I've cut out long thin (1/16 inch thick) shards of fondant mixed with tylose in an attempt to recreate this beautiful cake. http://cakesdecor.com/cakes/142607-frozen-castle.

They will be attached to the sides of a buttercream covered cake but some will be much higher than the cake. The tallest is about 6 inches tall by 1 inch wide and will be attached to a 3 inch high cake. Am I completely deluded in thinking they will not flop over? They will have a few days to harden before I attach them.

I have time to redo them with more tylose and thicker if necessary, but I don't know what to do for the best. Please help.

10 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 10:25am
post #2 of 11

AThey should definitely dry, although it depends somewhat on how much tylose you have used. If you can pick them up easily and move them around after a day, they'll be fine. Don't forget to dry both sides too. I would make extra pieces to allow for the inevitable breakages.

louglou Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks winniemog.  I hadn't thought about turning them over to dry the other side. I just guessed how much tylose to use. I'll make some spares using extra tylose.

Do you think placing them on buttercream cause them to soften? I don't have a backup plan if  it all goes wrong and am a bit scared that I may have a huge flop on my hands.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 11

Just from looking at that cake...and WOW, what a fantastic cake!..I think chocolate would be the way to go to make the standing pieces (or even a modeling chocolate). It will taste better, and you won't the worry of the Tylose/fondant mix not hardening properly. 

Just my opinion..hopefully it all works out though. I would love to see pics of the finished product, that is a lovely design :smile:

louglou Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 11

AIt is a lovely cake. If mine looks even a tiny bit like that I will be very happy. I was going to use candy melts but the ones I bought tasted so bad I couldn't use them. I will probably be back with more questions and will definitely post a photo of my finished cake.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 11

Candy melts spread thin on parchment and cut to shape will hold up well. They don't require drying time either.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 11

AIn my experience, if your fondant/tylose mix is nice and dry it doesn't soften on buttercream, but I only use SMBC. Could be different on buttercreams with extra liquids added.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 11

I think any chocolate would taste better than fondant w/tylose................

I dry pieces like this first on flat foam [allows air circulation] and then in the oven on parchment on a cookie sheet with just the light on or on the lowest setting.  I turn them a few times, too.  I use the light when I have a few days, and the low temp when I only have a few hours.

I then coat the backs with piping gel where they'll touch the BC to stop them from wilting and discoloring as they begin to absorb the oils from the BC.

louglou Posted 1 Nov 2014 , 11:42am
post #9 of 11

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3300959/width/200/height/400[/IMG] Here it is. There's still time to make changes so if you can think of anyway I can improve it, please tell me. Hopefully it will still look like this in 24hours.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 1 Nov 2014 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 11

It turned out not bad at all! Good jog, and hopefully it makes it to the party..I'm sure whoever its for will love it :)

louglou Posted 1 Nov 2014 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 11

AThanks. It's for my daughter. I think she'll like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%