Need Help Making Gold Ganache/ Royal Icing

Decorating By stephanie8285 Updated 31 Oct 2014 , 7:16am by Magic Mouthfuls

stephanie8285 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie8285 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 1:42am
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone! I am hoping someone will read this that can help because I am driving myself crazy with this one! I am supposed to make a hot pink cake with either drippy gold ganache or royal icing and I cannot seem to get this right. The cake came from a picture I originally found on pinterest. If anyone can offer any help or insight it would be GREATLY appreciated. The gold is the most important aspect of the cake! Here is the cake for reference:

4 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:15am
post #2 of 5

I'd probably go with royal icing, just because i find it holds gold better than ganache.  I'd do the royal icing in a pale yellow colour, let it set so it's completely dry and then paint over by hand with edible gold paint and a new paintbrush.

Where are you having problems in particular?

Cheers,

:)

stephanie8285 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie8285 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for responding so quickly! I was having trouble figuring out the best method to use to achieve that nice golden color. I do have another question though...if I use royal icing do you recommend using something like wilton gold pearl dust? And if so, do I just dry "paint" it or use some sort of alcohol to paint it on? I have tried to paint on royal icing before but, it never turned out how I wanted it to. It seemed like it almost dissolved the icing. Maybe I was painting it on with too much alcohol? If so any more tips or pointers are welcomed! Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 5

I usually just use a metallic gold airbrush paint but I haven't done such big surface areas before so not sure how it would go on such a big area.  I guess you could airbrush the top of the cakes and then hand paint the rest - if you have time, experiment with a few different products...  some work better than others   :)

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 7:16am
post #5 of 5

Hi Stephanie,

The latest issue of Wedding Cakes magazine - at UK magazine by Squires Kitchen had a tutorial on making your own gold sequins.  I wonder if the recipe would work for your project ...

3 tbsp of water mixed with 2 tsp of antique gold lustre dust - add gelatine leaves and let them soak for 10 mins to soften

Place bowl on top of saucepan of just boiled water and gently stir to dissolve the gelatin.

Pour over cake whilst mixture is still hot.

The pouring whilst hot bit has me worried for the hot pink fondant / buttercream/ ganache tho.

That cake looks awesome - I wish you every success

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%