Creating A Dessert Bar

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 30 Oct 2014 , 12:25pm by cazza1

cherrycakes Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 12:09am
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone!

I am busy getting ready for my husband's 50th birthday party and he recently informed me that he's tired of buttercream and fondant (yes, after I finalized the design for the cake!). While I'm still trying to pull the dagger from my heart I am realizing that I need to go onto Plan B as this is his birthday party! So, I've decided to create a dessert bar. I feel as though there is something missing from my plan and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any more suggestions to create a visually stimulating and variety in the desserts. Here's what I have so far:

- Kit Kat ice cream barrel cake (all ice cream with kitkat bars around it)

- Pineapple coconut cheesecakes (in bar form)

- sugar cookies decorated with a large 50 on each

- a bowl of M & M's

- 3 kinds of cupcakes: Oreo, Rolo, & Tripleberry

- Lemon blueberry cake (6" decorated with rustic finish and fresh blueberries on top)

Thanks for any suggestions!

7 replies
Krhardi969 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:01am
post #2 of 8

AI would do some sort of brownies as well.

Inga1 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:10am
post #3 of 8

Tired of butter cream and fondant? How about dark chocolate ganache? Or something totally different, homemade baklava?

johnson6ofus Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:54am
post #4 of 8

Chocolate fondue with fresh fruit.

julia1812 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 4:13am
post #5 of 8

AOooh, love baklava too! How about "pig ears" (don't know how you call that puff pastry rolls...?) in the shape of 50?

theresaf Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 8

Yum - what's more fun than a table with mega desserts on it!!  I'm a fan of individual items, however instead of having to cut cake(s)

Here's a couple of ideas I'd put on my own table!

cookie ice cream sandwiches (red velvet, chocolate chip ) or mini waffle ice cream sandwiches.  I currently love anything "waffled" - you can even make cookie dough waffles.  Assemble the whole thing in the freezer and pull out when ready to serve.

I make brownies in my mini cupcake pan (including paper liners) they pop out ready to serve and don't stick - you can chocolate fudge ice and sprinkle

mini lemon meringue pies using a cupcake pan

marshmallows dipped in white chocolate or dark chocolate and then dipped in sprinkles on a lollipop stick.  This is the simplest by far and besides brownies - the fastest eaten!!

Saturday is my birthday and the dessert I'm making myself that I'm itchin to try is chocolate ravioli.  I'm going to use a cannoli filling with a side of raspberry sauce and caramel sauce.  

So hungry right now but eating a salad :(

Good Luck!

Theresa

cherrycakes Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 2:59am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! My mind is racing now with ideas! I'll let you know what I decide when I do!

cazza1 Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 8

....and there is no reason why you cannot slip your birthday cake in there too.  Hubby might not want to eat it, but I am sure everyone else will, and he will have plenty of other choices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%