Fondant Figures Business

Business By Chloe432 Updated 9 Nov 2014 , 5:31pm by TTeddy

Chloe432 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 9:31am
post #1 of 8

AHi guys :) This is my first ever post on here ,so I'm so sorry if it had been covered before or I have posted wrong just let me know and I'll change it thanks

Anyway ,I love making cakes but my true passion is fondant figures and flowers (my favourite). I would love to start selling them (fondant decorations only) from home, but I'm getting a bit confused with licenses and permits. I have read a lot but most cover cake making which I would not be doing, and most wired fondant flowers are not edible so surly there not covered under food acts and regulations. Any help or experiences you have would be helpful I do live in Australia so I know every where is different but I appreciate any ideas Thanks :)

Also I'm not trying to build a huge business, just make a bit of money while I continue my studies at uni.

7 replies
winniemog Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 11:57am
post #2 of 8

AWhere are you in Australia? The best thing to do is contact your local council. They will decide if your business falls under any kind of food law and arrange inspections of your place of business if you need to register with them. I wouldn't start selling until you have this sorted, it's just one phone call, and you could be hit with a big fine if you operate unregistered.

costumeczar Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 8

And once you do start selling send me a message. I sell gumpaste flowers but I don't ship them overseas because of customs and the condition they arrive in as a result. I like to have a list of people who are willing to sell them to other people since  a lot of decorators won't.

Chloe432 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 8

AThanks for the replies, I've had a look at some food laws but didn't think of local council I'll check them out If I can get all the correct registration , I will defiantly look into that costumeczar :)

VanEarlsCakes Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 8

Have you thought about doing the same thing, only using Sculpey clay instead of gumpaste?  That would eliminate your need to worry about food laws, since you would be selling non-edible cake toppers or figurines....?

kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2014 , 2:34am
post #6 of 8

..........Have you thought about doing the same thing, only using Sculpey clay instead of gumpaste?............


Sculpey clay is not edible - it should NOT touch any edible - so such figure should not be placed on a cake (or anything else edible). 

VanEarlsCakes Posted 4 Nov 2014 , 3:06am
post #7 of 8

I assumed the sculpey would be placed on a food safe base, similar to many other cake toppers made of wood or porcelain or plastic, etc.   I did not mean to assume the sculpey itself would touch the cake.


Good luck with your business, Chloe!  It sounds fun and exciting, and I'm sure you won't have too many issues getting permission!

TTeddy Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 8

Hi Chloe,

Hey, you and I have somethings in common. I'm in Western Australia, in the wheat belt and I'm preparing to sell cake decorations locallyl. I'm just looking at doing it as a hobby in-between my studies, at home.

I've yet to go into the council to investigate. I hope it's not complicated!


Keep in touch





Quote by @%username% on %date%