High Ratio Shortening

Decorating By mogleyzw Updated 27 Oct 2014 , 9:32pm by MBalaska

mogleyzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mogleyzw Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

Is there anything which identifies high ratio shortening (appart from a label)?  For example if I look in the ingredients will I be able to tell which is which?  Where I live in Zimbabwe I have yet to come across shortening but I have seen vegetable fats which looks identical to shortening from other countries (a white block of mass).

Is there anything I should look out for when buying so I don't mess up an icing?  And what is puff pastry fat made from vegetable oils?  Can I use that as shortening?

Thanks

2 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 3

High ratio shortening isn't generally available in retail stores. It's a specialty order product from bakery supply shops.  I doubt that the block veg. shortening you're finding is high ratio. 

High ratio has a high percentage of trans fats.  In nutritionally labeled food, that should be spelled out very clearly.  In re-packaged foods, that info is probably not available.

In the US, trans fats have been removed from veg. shortening available in grocery stores, but what you have available may have a small percentage of trans fats in them.

Sorry, can't answer the question about puff pastry.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 3

High Ratio Shortening is more about the process used to hydrogenate the solid vegetable fat.  You can google it and it may make more sense to  you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%