Arranging Fresh Flowers On Wedding Cakes

Decorating By anncakes Updated 28 Oct 2014 , 3:16pm by anncakes

anncakes Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 3

AHello...could you lovely people give me some tips on arranging fresh flowers on cakes?...do we have to put parchment paper circles or doilies in between the flowers and the cake surface?...Do you arrange flowers on a foam and then put it on top of the cake?...also, instead of spikes, can we wrap individual flowers in plastic wrap or straws and then insert it into the cake?Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 3

First tip...be VERY careful!  Not from a damage point of view but from a 'some flowers are highly poisonous' point of view!  in addition to the toxicity of the flowers themselves, you need to be aware of the various chemicals which are used to grow the flowers.  I personally am very wary of putting fresh flowers on a cake and will only do it if they are a) not at all poisenous and/or b)will not actually be coming into contact with the cake or the fondant (or I can put something in between).  If however you do decide to do it, you can use either a styrofoam block or posy-picks, or a foil/straw combo I guess, providing that you are not putting the flowers into direct contact with the cake.

Could you use an alternative to real flowers?  Maybe artificial ones?  Or sugar flowers?  I have talked a few brides into that and they couldn't tell the difference really.  You still have to be careful but hopefully the risk factor is lower.

anncakes Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 3

AThanks for the reply. The bride wants only a few flowers on the top and a couple on the side. Will be very careful inserting the flowers on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%