Renshaw Colour Melts Crumbling

Sugar Work By LizinLondon Updated 29 Oct 2014 , 6:59pm by LizinLondon

LizinLondon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizinLondon Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 4

AI have just used some blue Renshaw colour melts in a variety of moulds including a ladies shoe approx 1 inch wide, button moulds and Wilton silicone and plastic letter moulds. I melted according to the instructions but had to add some oil as they were really thick and I couldn't pipe them into the moulds. I waited for them to set at room temperature and then refrigerated half and out half in the freezer.

When I tried to remove them from the moulds it was a disaster! The letters crumbled and all of the shapes were discoloured (they had a sort of blue/white speckled appearance). Has anyone got any tips on working with Renshaw melts? I have another 3 pots in different colours and would like to get better results next time!

3 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 1:01am
post #2 of 4

My guess is that you may have over heated the melts.  It is very easy to do with 'white' based candy/chocolate.  If you used the microwave method, did you set the power setting to only 40-50%?  

LizinLondon Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 4

AI had the microwave set to full power; I blindly followed the instructions on the pot of melts! I am going to have another try when I have a full day free to experiment with the power settings on my microwave. I am making some chocolate buttercreamand need to melt chocolate this evening and will use your tip about reducing the power. Thanks :D

LizinLondon Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 4

AQuick update, the chocolate buttercream turned out great! So thanks again. Although currently wrestling with a pumpkin shaped cake. Have done a crumb coat and seriously considering covering it in fondant as the buttercream is driving me nuts! Think this may be the beginnings of a later post...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%