How Far In Advance Can I Make Them?

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 3 Nov 2014 , 10:10pm by sweetneice

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 12

Hey All! I have been requested to do over 500 cake pops. How far in advance can you make them? Can you freeze them? They will be wrapped with a ribbon around the bottom. Will they sweat  once they thaw since it's cooler weather now and they will remain wrapped up?

11 replies
sweetneice Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 3:04am
post #2 of 12

anyone there? lol

lmcclaflin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmcclaflin Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 3:19am
post #3 of 12

Last year I had the feat of doing 750 cake pops and I was a little freaked out about it too.  I actually did it in small steps 3-4 weeks in advance and they turned out great. I first worked with the balls on the sticks - froze them in a single layer then in a sealed container.  Then when that part was done, I'd gradually thaw them out and dip them. I then covered and tied like you are doing, froze them again until I was ready to assemble the baskets I was doing.  I didn't have any problem with sweating, just make sure you aren't thawing in too drastic of temperature.  Since it was December, I just had them thaw out in the garage during the day and they did just fine.  I even had the tiny sprinkles on them and they didn't bleed at all.

sweetneice Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 5:15am
post #4 of 12

Oh thank you so much! I was just notified it's going to be 1000 total, and I want to make sure it's done and not at the last minute, as we have other things we are making as well. I appreciate the info!

occheermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
occheermommy Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 12

AQuestion please help. How are u guys making these cake pops. My daughter wants to make them for my other daughters baby shower and we have only played with them slightly. She has a pop maker and I tried it last night but they aren't pretty ball shaped. Before bed I took some cake parts and added frosting and froze those to see how they come. Is that the method u guys use or is there a third method available. I usually do cakes or cupcakes and for personL use. I am a huge freak and would never have the confidence to make professionally. Please help. Trying to prep ahead of my 23 of nov. Shower

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 12

ACraftsy.Com has a wilton cake pop making class it is for free (at least it was when I enrolled ). I would recommend this class if don't have any idea how to do them.

lmcclaflin Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 12

I make my cake pops by crumbling the already baked cake and adding just the "tiniest" bit of frosting or flavoring.  I often use the tops that I cut off when leveling a cake (store in freezer until enough for cake pops!).  If your cake is really moist to begin with you will only need like a tablespoon of frosting.  I also have a cake pop baker and those are more like donut holes, which are good sometimes too.  But I love crumbled because they are a much richer flavor. 

cakeimation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeimation Posted 1 Nov 2014 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 12

A500 cake pops?. 750 cake pops??? 1000 cake pops????? I just about fell off my chair! How in the world can so many be made for one event, without cracking? I have been making up to 60 or 70 chocolate cake pops at a time, coating in melted Merkins chocolate, and I am constantly lose half of them to bad cracks and splits. I have tried everything to prevent this, without consistent success. How are you able to deliver so many?? Please, I am dying to know. :)

lmcclaflin Posted 1 Nov 2014 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 12

For me, my big order was for my company's Christmas gifts to clients.  I had to do about 65 gift baskets with a dozen cake pops in each.  I started after Thanksgiving and had them done within 3 weeks because I work a full time job too so could only work on them a few hours at night or on the weekends.  So I had to do it small steps, making the balls, inserting the sticks, then freezing prior to dipping.  I did have a few crack on me but really not that many.  I think you just have to be sure the pops are thawed out enough so there's not the drastic change in temperature when you dip in the chocolate.?  I use Guittard chocolate and it works really well for me.  It also helped being done in the winter time; I was able to thaw out the pops nice and slow in the garage so no cracking or sweating that way either.

sweetneice Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 12

Imcclaflin how long did you let it thaw out before dipping and Where did you purchase your chocolate from? Thanks so much for your input!

lmcclaflin Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 12

Sorry replying a bit late - didn't see the message.  Anyway, I don't recall waiting a certain amount of time to defrost before dipping.  Since I work during the day, I would just take them out as soon as I got home and waited until the coldness to the touch was gone.  Probably at least an hour.  Here in Salt Lake City, we have a really great kitchen/baking store, called Gygi's.  They are online also.  I LOVE their store!  I get most of my baking supplies there, including the chocolate.

sweetneice Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 12

Oh thanks Imcclaflin!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%