How Far In Advance Can I Make Them?

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 3 Nov 2014 , 10:10pm by sweetneice

sweetneice Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 12

Hey All! I have been requested to do over 500 cake pops. How far in advance can you make them? Can you freeze them? They will be wrapped with a ribbon around the bottom. Will they sweat  once they thaw since it's cooler weather now and they will remain wrapped up?

11 replies
sweetneice Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 3:04am
post #2 of 12

anyone there? lol

lmcclaflin Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 3:19am
post #3 of 12

Last year I had the feat of doing 750 cake pops and I was a little freaked out about it too.  I actually did it in small steps 3-4 weeks in advance and they turned out great. I first worked with the balls on the sticks - froze them in a single layer then in a sealed container.  Then when that part was done, I'd gradually thaw them out and dip them. I then covered and tied like you are doing, froze them again until I was ready to assemble the baskets I was doing.  I didn't have any problem with sweating, just make sure you aren't thawing in too drastic of temperature.  Since it was December, I just had them thaw out in the garage during the day and they did just fine.  I even had the tiny sprinkles on them and they didn't bleed at all.

sweetneice Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 5:15am
post #4 of 12

Oh thank you so much! I was just notified it's going to be 1000 total, and I want to make sure it's done and not at the last minute, as we have other things we are making as well. I appreciate the info!

occheermommy Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 12

AQuestion please help. How are u guys making these cake pops. My daughter wants to make them for my other daughters baby shower and we have only played with them slightly. She has a pop maker and I tried it last night but they aren't pretty ball shaped. Before bed I took some cake parts and added frosting and froze those to see how they come. Is that the method u guys use or is there a third method available. I usually do cakes or cupcakes and for personL use. I am a huge freak and would never have the confidence to make professionally. Please help. Trying to prep ahead of my 23 of nov. Shower

Natka81 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 12

ACraftsy.Com has a wilton cake pop making class it is for free (at least it was when I enrolled ). I would recommend this class if don't have any idea how to do them.

lmcclaflin Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 12

I make my cake pops by crumbling the already baked cake and adding just the "tiniest" bit of frosting or flavoring.  I often use the tops that I cut off when leveling a cake (store in freezer until enough for cake pops!).  If your cake is really moist to begin with you will only need like a tablespoon of frosting.  I also have a cake pop baker and those are more like donut holes, which are good sometimes too.  But I love crumbled because they are a much richer flavor. 

cakeimation Posted 1 Nov 2014 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 12

A500 cake pops?. 750 cake pops??? 1000 cake pops????? I just about fell off my chair! How in the world can so many be made for one event, without cracking? I have been making up to 60 or 70 chocolate cake pops at a time, coating in melted Merkins chocolate, and I am constantly lose half of them to bad cracks and splits. I have tried everything to prevent this, without consistent success. How are you able to deliver so many?? Please, I am dying to know. :)

lmcclaflin Posted 1 Nov 2014 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 12

For me, my big order was for my company's Christmas gifts to clients.  I had to do about 65 gift baskets with a dozen cake pops in each.  I started after Thanksgiving and had them done within 3 weeks because I work a full time job too so could only work on them a few hours at night or on the weekends.  So I had to do it small steps, making the balls, inserting the sticks, then freezing prior to dipping.  I did have a few crack on me but really not that many.  I think you just have to be sure the pops are thawed out enough so there's not the drastic change in temperature when you dip in the chocolate.?  I use Guittard chocolate and it works really well for me.  It also helped being done in the winter time; I was able to thaw out the pops nice and slow in the garage so no cracking or sweating that way either.

sweetneice Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 12

Imcclaflin how long did you let it thaw out before dipping and Where did you purchase your chocolate from? Thanks so much for your input!

lmcclaflin Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 12

Sorry replying a bit late - didn't see the message.  Anyway, I don't recall waiting a certain amount of time to defrost before dipping.  Since I work during the day, I would just take them out as soon as I got home and waited until the coldness to the touch was gone.  Probably at least an hour.  Here in Salt Lake City, we have a really great kitchen/baking store, called Gygi's.  They are online also.  I LOVE their store!  I get most of my baking supplies there, including the chocolate.

sweetneice Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 12

Oh thanks Imcclaflin!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%