Urgent Double Barrel Advice!!

Decorating By me_me1 Updated 28 Oct 2014 , 4:40am by jennicake

me_me1 Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 12:47am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I've got a wedding cake due today.  It's all done, everything is complete, I just need to get it to the venue later this afternoon.

One of the tiers is a double barrel and I can't for the life of me remember if I put supports in the bottom section of the double barrel last night as I was frosting and assembling.  I can remember doing the top, but can't remember doing the bottom!

The top two tiers are dummy tiers - there's some weight to them but not as heavy as if they were cake.

My question is - do I disassemble everything to double check and fix if necessary?  Or just take to the venue, finish stacking and cross fingers?!?

The cake itself is a solid hummingbird.

Thanks for your help!!

4 replies
jennicake Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 12:54am
post #2 of 5

personally, I would check it if you have time.  If it's a double height tier, you already have weight sitting on the bottom half of the tier.  Add two more fondant covered tiers, and it sounds scary!

me_me1 Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 1:03am
post #3 of 5

What about driving a metal rod through the cake board?  I'm just not sure I have enough time to redo the whole double barrel.  What do you think?

me_me1 Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 1:26am
post #4 of 5

Hahaha, okay, just disassembled the double barrel and guess what....  yep, I had remembered to put the supports in after all!!

Now I have to re-fondant that fecker!!    :)

Thanks for responding jennicake!

jennicake Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 4:40am
post #5 of 5

Lol oh no!  Glad it turned out that you were safe after all :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%