Baking A Giant Cupcake?

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 28 Oct 2014 , 1:52am by mmhassa2

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 6

I have a silicone giant cupcake pan and noticed last time I baked the cake it took FOREVER.  Now I always use the WASC recipe and use flower nails for any cake 8" or larger and they turn out perfect everytime. 

How do I master baking these giant cupcakes?  Also wondering if a full WASC recipe is enough for both the bottom and top or should I double the recipe??

Do I even attempt to add a flower nail in the bottom pan???

How long should I aim at baking?  I always bake at 325 to be extra safe. 

5 replies
Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 6

I don't use WASC so can't answer how much batter you'd need, but you have to bake each half on its own.  They tend to take different cooking times for each half and you don't want one half to burn and the other to be raw.  I didn't use a flower nail, but did bake at 325 and I want to say it was at least 45 mins for it to bake.  It's been awhile, though, so start at 30 and check it periodically.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhassa2 

I have a silicone giant cupcake pan and noticed last time I baked the cake it took FOREVER.  Now I always use the WASC recipe and use flower nails for any cake 8" or larger and they turn out perfect everytime. 

How do I master baking these giant cupcakes?  Also wondering if a full WASC recipe is enough for both the bottom and top or should I double the recipe??

Do I even attempt to add a flower nail in the bottom pan???

How long should I aim at baking?  I always bake at 325 to be extra safe. 

You'll have to get a metal giant cupcake pan. I started out with a silicone one and had the exact same problem..they just don't work. I sold the silicone one, and got a metal one; still using a heating core though and it worked.

Silicone pans just don't heat evenly enough, mine always had burnt outsides and raw middles when I tried doing the giant cupcake in them, if there is a trick to them I never figured it out. So my advice is save yourself the hassle and buy a metal one. 

mmhassa2 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 1:39am
post #4 of 6

Thanks baked it with flowernail on convection for 50 mins and cake out nice. Here's the finished cake:

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 1:51am
post #5 of 6

Very pretty! I like the colors.

mmhassa2 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 1:52am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%