Corn Free Icing Needed Suitable Off Piping

Baking By Rodeomomma Updated 24 Oct 2014 , 1:00pm by cupadeecakes

Rodeomomma Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 5:29am
post #1 of 5

AMy daughter has severe food allergies but she loves to decorate cakes. It is always so sad that she. An never eat anything she makes.. I have tried countless methods to make icing with no luck.... I need a corn wheat rice soy and pork (lard) free icing(no pressure) lol. I have tried to make my own powdered sugar with a pro ninja but it is still slightly gritty and a vitamix is not in the budget... Below is as close as i have got but it is not stiff enough for her to pipe with and not get hard and formed. Please help.... I am open to any ideas/suggestions thanks in advance

Ingredients: For the Meringue: 4 large egg whites 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar Pinch of fine sea salt 1/4 cup granulated sugar For the Sugar Syrup: 3/4 cups granulated sugar 1/4 cup water For the Frosting: 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or almond extract, melted chocolate, coconut flavoring, espresso powder, or 6 tablespoons fruit puree) Food coloring (optional) Instructions:

To Make the Meringue: ... Place the egg whites and the cream of tartar in the large bowl of your stand mixer; mix on high speed; beat until foamy, just prior to soft peaks forming Add sugar while the mixer is still running on high; beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.

To Make the Syrup: Add sugar to a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour the water slowly into the pan, avoiding splashing any sugar on the sides. If you do, wipe it clean immediately, as it may cause the syrup to crystalize. Stir gently a cou...

To Make the Frosting: To the beaten egg whites, with your mixer on medium speed, pour the syrup towards the sides of the mixing bowl, not directly on the whisk; run the mixer until the temperature of the mixture cools to 80°F. Add butter and whip until creamy; add the flavoring of your choosing; add food coloring, if desired (tiny drops at a time); blend well. Leave at room temperature while frosting cake or cupcakes....

4 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 6:29am
post #2 of 5

Hi Rodeomomma

The recipe you found looks just like Italian Meringue Buttercream.  Also do a search on this site for Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe - both will tick the boxes for ingredients and both taste divine.  I've found Swiss Meringue an easier one to make - allow yourself 1/2 hour to make a batch tho.    

You can flavour lots of ways - pureed fruit, chocolate, homemade caramel, vanilla etc etc.  The trick is to keep adding flavour until you get the taste you are after.  I usually add 5-10 times the amount of vanilla (I use concentrated pure extract) to make sure the vanilla overwhelms the butter.

Both of these buttercreams will pipe beautifully and you can use underneath a fondant by chilling until firm (15 mins in freezer or overnight in fridge).  

Also - eat both of these Buttercreams at room temperature (not straight from fridge)!!

For future reference for all cooking for your daughter - google Australian recipes.  Most of our recipes call for the 'scratch' or unprocessed natural ingredient - we don't have half the things/processed foods used as ingredients of our USA counterparts in our stores, so most recipes use basic ingredients.

Best to you :-)

cazza1 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 9:35am
post #3 of 5

I am a bit confused over what sort of icing you are chasing.  American, Swiss and Italian buttercream can all be made without the products she is allergic to.  Swiss and Italian use normal sugar so you don't have to worry about powdered sugar.  If you want icing that goes rock hard you could try Royal Icing but you will need powdered sugar for that.

Rodeomomma Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 11:27am
post #4 of 5

AI am not picky at this point something that is firm enough basically she can pipe with is my main concern. I have made my own powdered sugar using the ninja and magic bullet it is not 100% perfect like store bought but is good enough that I have used it before. I was just hoping someone with more experience than me may know of something that I could try,...

cupadeecakes Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 5

When you are making your own powdered sugar, are you using any type of starch in the mix?  Check out this article:

http://www.glutenfreegigi.com/how-to-make-corn-free-confectioners-sugar/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%