Please Help, Need To Fix This Cake Asap

Decorating By Naivohw Updated 27 Oct 2014 , 2:38am by enga

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:53am
post #1 of 8

Please help me with this cake, I don't know what to do. It is for a party Saturday. Here is the cake:

The werewolf head and arms is RKT with buttercream on it. The cake is bulging very badly in the back, below the head.

I have removed the head, if I can fix the rest of the cake I can replace the head right before the party. Is there any way to get the cake back to a somewhat presentable appearance? I don't have time to rebake anything, but I have some time tomorrow after work to do some fixes. It is all sitting in the fridge at the moment. One of the arms also slid off the sides, but I used several toothpics and bamboo skewers, and that seems to be holding it. 

7 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 1:32am
post #2 of 8

Something similar happened to me. My cake sat at room temperature and got too soft. What filling did you use? The head must have put extra weight on it in the back.You don't have to re bake it.  You could take the arms off and scrape it all down if you have time to make more icing. Maybe put wax or parchment paper on top  of the whole cake and something  to weigh it down evenly in case their are more air pockets inside like a flat plate or a piece of tile. Let that stay on it while it's in the fridge until tomorrow. 

Then crumb coat, put it back in the fridge for a bit, re ice, add the arms, put it back in the fridge and you can wait to put the head on right before the party. Or if you cant make more icing, you could let it firm up and try to patch up the bulge, re smooth it and let it stay in the fridge in a covered box or container until the party.

So sorry this happened to you, hth.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 9:42am
post #3 of 8

Did you put some sort of support under the head to stop the weight of the head pushing down and causing the bulging?

wasia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wasia Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 8

i think you have used jam or jelly as a filling that's what hapened to me when i use jelly or jam as a filling .The layer of cakes will be slippery because of jam and jelly my suggestion is if you want to use jam or jelly just spread thin layer of jam or jelly and you SMBC or butter cream as a filling

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Did you put some sort of support under the head to stop the weight of the head pushing down and causing the bulging?

I was going to say this....this will alleviate pressure from coming down on to the cake. 

Edible Art Co Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edible Art Co Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 8

Yep. When I made a solid icing lighthouse for the corner of a square cake, I positioned it on top of a cake pop stick in case it had any ideas! Support, smooth over, refrigerate and you'll be fine :) 

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 12:41am
post #7 of 8

Hi everyone, thanks so much for replying. So, I had to scrap the first cake. I saved the head (thank god, since that's where most of the labor was) Sent the cake to my dad's work and his coworkers were happy to demolish it. My mom was kind enough to step in and re-bake the rounds, and the party is today, not yesterday, so that gave me another day!

For the first cake, I did not have support under the head. I had skewers holding the head onto the cake to prevent it from shifting, but nothing for support. And I did use jelly filling (actually one half was jelly and one half bavarian cream). This time I just did a thin layer of buttercream. I also let the cake settle for a few hours while weighted. I've got the head back on, with skewers underneath a cake board cut to size to support it. Plus some long skewers to hopefully keep the head on during the drive. I've also got the RKT arms on, and am just waiting for the candy melt coating on them to dry so I can finish up the frosting. So far, no sign of bulging! I also put the arms fully on top of the cake, so they won't slid off the sides. The cake is from the 2014 Wilton yearbook, and the arms on their cake are definitely on the sides. I assume they are using some form of dark magic to keep them there. Anyway, better go, I leave for the party in an hour. I will post pictures when it's finished!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 2:34am
post #8 of 8

Bummer sorry you had to scrap it but it went to a great cause, at least someone got to enjoy it, lol. Thank goodness for your mom chipping in and your being able to save the head.

So much for fairy dust, black magic and unicorn sneezes, we in the real world learn by our mistakes and this one will only make you better in the future. Sounds like the second go round should be okay. Cant wait to see pics.

Good luck and best wishes! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%