Double Layer Of Fondant?!!

Decorating By cara1982 Updated 23 Oct 2014 , 6:43pm by winniemog

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 6

AHi, So I've been browsing through another cake baking forum and someone had posted a question about doing 2 very thin layers of fondant when they have iced a wedding cake. Admittedly, I've only done a few wedding cakes, but it has never occurred to me that I should be doing 2 thin layers rather than one normal one. Is this standard practice for those of you who make wedding cakes? :oops:

5 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 6

AI've only ever done this when covering a fruit cake and the client didn't want marzipan which is traditionally used under fondant. The extra layer prevents discolouration of the outer layer of fondant.

This might be the case if the forum was British as fruit cakes are often used for wedding cakes. I don't know why you do it otherwise, it's a lot of extra work!

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 6

AYes, it was a British forum. Someone posted that '…a lot of professional sugar crafters do this, even with sponge...' Just thought it was strange and would maybe explain where I was going wrong!!!

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 22 Oct 2014 , 11:27am
post #4 of 6

I agree with Winniemog - years ago I worked as a wedding co-ordinator and helped cut and bag over 300 wedding cakes.  The only ones that had double layer fondant icing was the fruit cakes, and it was obvious that the inner layer was replacing the marzipan.  We (the chef and I cutting the cake) both thought they tasted nicer with double fondant and no marzipan - but that's just personal taste.  I never saw it on sponge or mud cakes tho.  

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 6

In the UK, you have to use marzipan under fondant HOWEVER, I have a couple of books from our celebrity bakers which say to use marzipan or chocolate plastique (i think that's modelling chocolate Stateside?) under your fondant for sponge cakes as well.  Maybe that is where they got it from?  Personally don't see the point - it's expensive, tastes gross (I hate marzipan!) and unnecessary if you prepare your base properly :-)

Side note as well...I don't think that you could replace marzipan with fondant for a fruit cake if you were planning on leaving it for a prolonged period.  I am pretty sure someone once told me once that the oils in the marzipan act as a barrier so stop the colour from the fruit seeping into the fondant.  It won't happen overnight but i think that even a thick layer of fondant would discolour if left...

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 6

AI've used the double layer of fondant on Christmas cakes for teachers who then used the cakes as displays for about 4-6 weeks. None of them reported any discolouration and said the cake was lovely inside when they finally ate it. Mind you, for really long term displays, I always use marzipan. It's just that a lot of people don't really enjoy the flavour of this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%