My Fondant Number Fell...

Decorating By MichellePonce Updated 21 Oct 2014 , 6:49pm by MichellePonce

MichellePonce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichellePonce Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hi I made a fondant covered wooden four and the time my customer made it to the event the four had toppled over. I glued it to 4 popsicle sticks and it felt really secure. My customer didnt tell me, I just happened to see it

on Fb. I contacted her and she said the 4 fell and I told her I would give her a free 8 inch cake. I dont know if it fell during transport or the cake got hot. Im just want to prevent this from happening ever again. Should I have not used a wooden four and just made it out of fondant so it would be lighter or is there a way to secure it more if I ever did make one from wood.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 5

How long were the supports you put in?  You mention using Popsicle sticks but how thin and long were they?

They should go almost thru the top tier - even better if they go thru the board that top tier is on.

I can see where it might go sideways as it did if the driving wasn't good.  Think about how much weight is off to the side  compared to were the supports were.

My bet is the customer didn't say anything because it happened when the cake was transported to the venue.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 5

AThat's the sort of detail I'd be inclined to transport separately to the cake and add at the venue. I've had a few customers do this, I show them how to "assemble" the cake when they collect it, and then delicate or big toppers are transported in a separate box. Less stress for everyone that way.

MichellePonce Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 5

AThe Popsicle sticks went all the way through the top tier. Just curious how others did this.

MichellePonce Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 5

AGood idea winniemog

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%