Collapsed Cake?? What Happened?

Decorating By doramoreno62 Updated 21 Oct 2014 , 5:25am by julia1812

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 3:29am
post #1 of 12

Can you guys give your opinion as to why this cake collapsed??

So this cake is a 10" carrot cake with cream cheese filling and a 12" marble cake with Bavarian cream filling. 7 bubble tea straws were used as dowels and a center wooden dowel was also used.

It was picked up around 8am so the weather was cool.  The drive was about 45 minutes but after exiting the freeway. it's all dirt road. 

It was on the front seat, sitting on a cutting board.

What do you think happened?

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 3:47am
post #2 of 12

Rough driving.  A cake should *NEVER*! ever be put on the front seat.  Seats are NOT level - they slant back.  Even w/the cutting board it still would have slanted.  Along w/the dirt road (that I'm sure was not smooth) that would have jarred it to pieces.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 4:13am
post #3 of 12

If the bavarian cream was at room temperature, your straws may have shifted with the cake being slanted as well.  Sounds like it was a tasty cake though!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 12

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi 

Rough driving.  A cake should *NEVER*! ever be put on the front seat.  Seats are NOT level - they slant back.  Even w/the cutting board it still would have slanted.  Along w/the dirt road (that I'm sure was not smooth) that would have jarred it to pieces.

I agree with this post. The cake should be placed on the floor of the car or trunk. It must be level at all times.

Krhardi969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krhardi969 Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 12

AIt looks like it slid, moving the dowels diagonal allowing it to collapse. Possibly could have been avoided if it was level on the car floor. :-( very unfortunate because it's a very cute cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 12

idk -- it looks like some heat was involved too like maybe it was kept out in the car too -- look at all the ribbles/blublettes/texture in the surface of the top tier --

and yes a cake cannot be delivered successfully if placed on an uneven surface but car seats can be made level handily with for example a roll of paper towels underneath a sheet tray or a coke can under a cutting board or a rolled up jacket/t-shirt under a slice of cardboard -- i deliver all the time on front seats and back seats too,

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 12

Sorry this happened to your beautiful cake. It is not a good idea to put cake on front seat unless you do like K8memphis says. This does not seem to be your fault. Hope your customer does not blame you for this. 

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 12

AI think the slippery filling of the bottom tier, and a combination of a probably not level surface and rough driving, made the bottom tier shift - you can see the bottom tier is no longer centred on the board, the whole front part of the bottom tier has shunted forward, the cake has come apart under the fondant. Centre dowels give a false sense of security - the cake just ripped through it. Your straws may not have been placed correctly either. Is it on a thick cake drum or board? It looks fairly thin but it could be the angle of the photo. If it was a thin board, that would be a problem too since it would have buckled under the weight if the big cakes.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 12:56am
post #9 of 12

was it cold? Bavarian cream is as slippery as fresh fruit!!! Looks like the outer buttercream and fondant layers collapsed under all the travel and vibrations and if it was room temp, the cream and layers all shifted. It was doomed. 

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 3:24am
post #10 of 12

Was the upper 10 inch cake sitting on its own cardboard?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 3:33am
post #11 of 12

I have made 1,000s of cake - very often using BavCreme as filing.  As some are fond of saying you can stack jello when it it is properly doweled.

I really doubt the filling had much, if anything to do with this problem.

It really had to do with how it was transported.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 5:25am
post #12 of 12

ASorry Dora! What a beautiful cake... Shame!!! I keep my cakes on the floor in front of the passenger seat if possible on a big level tray. Our roads are like off road tracks and I am always super nervous. But driving slow and never had a problem yet. What did you do? I mean in regards of the customer? Sorry for being nosy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%