What Colors Are These?

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 19 Oct 2014 , 2:17am by mmhassa2

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 1:35am
post #1 of 6

The cake below, the top is a light blue and the bottom seems to be greenish yellow?  Wondering what colors I should start with to achieve the same colors? I have electric green from americolor if that helps.

5 replies
CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 4:31am
post #2 of 6

AI hope this helps and isn't too basic. Start with a very small piece of white fondant and add a tiny amount of Americolor royal blue. Mix it very good. Add more white and see if it looks like you want. For the greenish yellow I would use your electric green and do it the same way. If you make a small amount of a color, you really have not wasted anything and it is easy to adjust to find the right blend.

Some of the best light colors are made with what is typically a darker color, like Forrest green, dark brown, gold, teal, etc.

mmhassa2 Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 12:17am
post #3 of 6

Thanks! You were right it was those color just lightly added.  I kind of wished I added a bit more green for the bottom tier but was too afraid of it turning dark.  It doesnt look that yellow in person, can tell its green.

On a brighter note my first time making a fondant character :D

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 1:23am
post #4 of 6

You are welcome!!!!!  I am glad to help.  I am kind of a color freak.  When I went to art school a few hundred years ago, they used to have a system for us to look at each color and break it down, by the color, tint and shade.  I look at colors and I become a paint chip machine. 

It also matters what kind of fondant you use, as it has color in it too that may not be exactly white.  Plus some colors may get darker.    

Nice first monkey!!!!   Your a doing great!!!! 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 2:11am
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmhassa2 

@mmhassa2 You did a great job on your first model.  It's too good for a first time!!

The cake is really nice.  One questions though.  After all of that fabulous work you put into this, you placed it all on a plain piece of cardboard.  Why didn't you just put it straight on the pretty white cake stand? 

mmhassa2 Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 2:17am
post #6 of 6

Thank you! Do you mean the cakeboard its on? I know I can cover it with fondant but its for a client and I place all my cakes on a plain cake board unless they ask/pay a fee for it. But if you mean the betty crocker stand, it's on it as when the photo was taken the cake was still inside the fridge chilling. lol 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

@mmhassa2 You did a great job on your first model.  It's too good for a first time!!

The cake is really nice.  One questions though.  After all of that fabulous work you put into this, you placed it all on a plain piece of cardboard.  Why didn't you just put it straight on the pretty white cake stand? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%