Choosing Tier Sizes- Playing With The Norm

Decorating By sugarflorist Updated 17 Oct 2014 , 9:20am by sugarflorist

sugarflorist Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 11:52am
post #1 of 14

I have looked at so many pictures of tiered cakes and it has left me wondering why they all have graduated tier sizes with the largest on the bottom and the smallest on the top. is there a constructive reason for it? or is it just because it has always been done that way

 

has any one ever tried making a tiered cake using the same size tiers separated by either pillars or dummy separators. I know we have the infamous upside down stack but it still uses the same principal.

 

has anyone ever tried a design that uses the same size cake for each tier?

 

would you consider for example stacking  10inch cakes and a 6 inch separators to produce a four tier cake. if it has been done i would love to see the effect. 

13 replies
kimmisue2009 Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 14
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyFoRbYMNjmCYUGwpLrsNkbpOf0z4oUX897JiKvPEf7BrsGT35 Like this?
sugarflorist Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 14

wow it looks stunning.

kimmisue2009 Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 14

And, although one look in my gallery would tell you this - I did not make that cake.  I just looked for an example of what I thought you might mean.  It is a very different look.  Post yours when you do one. :)

sugarflorist Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmisue2009 
 

And, although one look in my gallery would tell you this - I did not make that cake.  I just looked for an example of what I thought you might mean.  It is a very different look.  Post yours when you do one. :)

thanks kimmisue i tried all sorts of word​ combos but did not find anything :oops: what search phase did you use? 

kimmisue2009 Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 14

I googled "tiered cakes same size" but even that only yielded a couple results.  I'm a self-proclaimed google-ho and usually find anything I want, but so far, even though I know there are more out there, I haven't found that many.  It's becoming a vendetta as the morning wears on......

kimmisue2009 Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 14
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4v0FNOJnQMcX3nVhwDw3xPkmnpRwwqU5hUCMapt5jUBJ1z1wPhAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiO6FRKfrop3-XnmxiX9lhUZ6wyxwLX3M-E86hUTf7qFGz8yoJhAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYKbSyct4fUJIjEiKPoidZlSuqDQjUfVjXtG-PdwDV0vmQWhLL
ellavanilla Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 14

supposedly the shape comes from the French croquembouche, which was once in favor for wedding desserts. I have heard that if the bride and groom could kiss over the towering pile of pastry, it meant good luck in their marriage. 

 

jen

sugarflorist Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisue2009 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmisue2009 
 
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4v0FNOJnQMcX3nVhwDw3xPkmnpRwwqU5hUCMapt5jUBJ1z1wPhAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiO6FRKfrop3-XnmxiX9lhUZ6wyxwLX3M-E86hUTf7qFGz8yoJhAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYKbSyct4fUJIjEiKPoidZlSuqDQjUfVjXtG-PdwDV0vmQWhLL

You have found a lot more than my efforts - i have been looking for hours i hve been on pin interest too. I really like the symetry.  i am planning a cake for a competition in march with 4 tiers will have to use this idea i think - with so few to be found i may score a few points for originality if the judges have not seen it before ;-D

sugarflorist Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 
 

supposedly the shape comes from the French croquembouche, which was once in favor for wedding desserts. I have heard that if the bride and groom could kiss over the towering pile of pastry, it meant good luck in their marriage. 

 

jen

I believe it is still the chosen wedding cake in france

kimmisue2009 Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 14

Well good luck in your endeavors and definitely let us see your masterpiece.  Now I'm off to work, because if the cyber-police care one whit about what I'm doing I've already got some 'splaining to do!

ammcats Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 14

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3295418/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I just had to go looking and could only find one more! :grin:

kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 14

I am a big fan of the 'triditional' pillared wedding cake w/the lgst tier on the bottom and 4" differences between the upper tiers.

BUT!.....these examples are great and would change my mind quickly :)

sugarflorist Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 9:20am
post #14 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammcats 




I just had to go looking and could only find one more! icon_biggrin.gif

love this one

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%