I'm making a frozen themed Cake and would like to use dry ice for the fog effect. This will be underneath the cake stand. Has anyone ever used this before?? Does it affect cake in any way? All help appreciated. Thanks
ANobody tried dry ice??
I "almost" tried dry ice for a dummy cake in a bridal show. I had made a Halloween wedding cake (complete with flying bats and ghosts on it!) and wanted the fog effect under the cake at the show. I bought the dry ice, put it in my walk-in, as directed, and when I pulled it out the next day, I had a box of air! I was so ticked!! The whole thing evaporated overnight and I didn't get to use it! So if you give it a shot, be sure you ask lots of questions about how to store it, travel with it, etc.
AI think ur supposed to do it as u need it...so as soon as u put water on it starts to work... Xxx
I didn't even have a chance to put any water on it .... it had all turned to air by the next morning. I really did something wrong .... and I was looking forward to my mini-science experiment, too! LOL!
We've used dry ice a couple of times for volcano cakes. We bought the dry ice the day before and kept in the freezer. A cup was built into the volcano where we placed the dry ice and then poured in the water. Coolest thing ever! Depending on how much dry ice is used it will go on for a really long time. And the kids love it..almost as much as my husband. We're going to put some in a pumpkin with glow sticks for halloween. I really don't see how it would affect the cake if it's underneath the stand but I have no experience with that..Have fun!!
I also used dry ice in a volcano cake. Just make sure to use the correct water to dry ice ratio or the water will freeze. First go I had a very small cup for the water and a decent sized chunk of ice and it froze the water. duh
AOoh thanks guys! Is there a brand you would recommend? I'm in the UK...thank u xx
Dry ice....as it breaks down, it turns directly into carbon dioxide gas rather than a liquid.
Should have no affect on cake, and make a cool effect...lol
AWoohoo thank you...could u recommend any brands??
Since no one has mentioned it, I'll chime in with the obligatory safety warning. Dry Ice should never be touched with bare hands because it can burn your skin easily. Also, make sure to use it in a well ventilated area. As it evaporates (sublimates) it releases carbon dioxide, which in large quantities can be dangerous. Read up on it and make sure you use it safely!
AThanks for the head up @cupadeecakes
dry ice is not "branded" -- it's a generic product.
a good fish monger or a chemist should be able to refer you to a source as oft used to pack frozen fish and perishable drugs for long distance shipping.
use HOT water for a large effect, room temp for wisps.
warning -- the fog is laden with moisture and will get things wet after a while.
another option -- a "cold mist" humidifier -- it will create a wisps of fog, just uses water, and easier to use over and over again.
do not use an oil based fogger of any sort!!!!
here's a site with info: http://www.dryiceinfo.com/fog.htm
and if you google "build your own dry ice fog machine" you'll find lots of sources for making one, all the way up to ones capable of flooding the entire room (theatre folk have LOTS of experience with this (cue Phantom cruising with Christine in his boat o're the lake of candles).
in fact, if you have a local theatre troupe, they may just have one you could borrow!
doug, nice to see you