Wedding Cake Servings Doubled By Caterer?

Decorating By ashwee7 Updated 13 Oct 2014 , 4:12am by denetteb

ashwee7 Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 2:12am
post #1 of 4

I'm hoping someone can help me out. The last two wedding cakes I have made, I have also attended the wedding so I have been able to see how the caterer cuts and serves the cake. All of my cakes are three layers of cake, 2 layers of filling and 4 3/4 - 5 inches tall. I noticed that the caterers were actually cutting the entire tier in half horizontally(cut right through the second layer of cake) and then cutting it into servings.I am a bit confused. This way of cutting it essentially doubles the serving sizes, right? I always thought that servings would be 1x2 and the height of the cake (4-5 inches tall). Has anyone else encountered this? 

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 3:17am
post #2 of 4

That's really weird, but there's no way to control how the caterer is going to cut the cake. I always tell the bride how it's supposed to be cut, and tell her that if she sees it's being cut a different thickness or whatever, the serving counts will be off.

I've never seen anyone cut a normal tier in half like that, but I've seen them cut the pieces so thin they're about 1/2" thick. So you'd get more servings out of that tier too.

kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 3:57am
post #3 of 4

Perhaps it's time you explained to the caterer how to cut the cake?  Print up a sheet giving directions and make sure it is left near (partially under) the cake or given directly to the caterer.

denetteb Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 4:12am
post #4 of 4

You don't have any control how cakes are cut.  But if you are attending the wedding and you see them doing something weird like that I would most certainly politely say something.  Not only are the sizes different but half the people aren't getting any frosting on top. Boo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%