Friday Night Cake Club For 10/10/14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 14 Oct 2014 , 9:11pm by shanter

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 7:19pm
post #31 of 39

my condolences James, we are thinking of you.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 9:12pm
post #32 of 39

Thanks. My dad and I are in a GriefShare group. And yesterday, a small portion of the leftover food from the Memorial was served at the GriefShare meeting, and a much more substantial portion of it was donated to feed the hungry crew of volunteers doing a Stop Hunger Now project. All at the same church where we held the service. And I have it straight from the equine masticatory orifice that it was appreciated.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 9:34pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

And I have it straight from the equine masticatory orifice that it was appreciated.

Really, James? Are you disrespecting us or your mother?

Google found this

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 10:18pm
post #34 of 39

Equine Masticatory Orifice = Horse's Mouth.

Equine Defecatory Orifice = The other end of the horse's digestive system.

In this case, that my fellow GriefShare participants appreciated their one fruit plate and their one small plate of cookies, I have directly from them. And as for the partially-eaten fruit, vegegable, and cheese plates, and somewhat larger plate of cookies, that went to the Stop Hunger Now crew, I have it directly from the church secretary, who was supervising them (and who is also the wedding and funeral coordinator).

Oh, and in that MIDRANGE-L thread you cited, I think that particular equine masticatory orifice was somebody from IBM itself.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 1:46am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Oh, and in that MIDRANGE-L thread you cited, I think that particular equine masticatory orifice was somebody from IBM itself.

If you're James Lampert, then you are the person being quoted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 1/25/2012 7:07 PM, James Lampert wrote:

Actually, only minutes after I asked the question, I got something
straight from the equine masticatory orifice:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't really matter anymore. Except that I hope you will start treating your fellow CC members with more respect.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 1:26pm
post #36 of 39

sometimes we joke sometimes we grieve -- most of us know the difference

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 5:59pm
post #37 of 39

FOR THE RECORD:

In case some people here are ignorant of them, there are two metaphors referring to a horse's mouth (or an "equine masticatory orifice") that are among the most common and timeless in North American English usage:

"Straight from the horse's mouth," for an answer being straight from the source, comes (so far as I'm aware) from gambling on horse racing: if horses could speak, than how could a betting tip on a horse race be any better or more reliable than one that came "straight from the horse's mouth"?

"Looking a gift horse in the mouth" for ingratitude comes from the old practice of examining a horse's teeth to estimate the animal's age and health: if a horse is a gift, then one should be grateful regardless of the horse's age and health. Some decades ago, in a science fiction novel by Alan Dean Foster, a Pandronian character, referring to a draft-beast of his home planet, recast the metaphor as "Not to look gift zintar in the masticatory orifice."

Notice that at no time in this thread did I bring up the subject of an insulting reference to another portion of a horse's anatomy, other than to define it in the most literal terms possible, differentiating it from the "masticatory orifice."

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 6:51pm
post #38 of 39
James, You have my sincere sympathy for the loss of your mother.

However, I find your posts here verging on the offensive. We are not stupid. You do not need to educate us in the meaning and usage of the English language. There are other forums for that. I, for one (and I'm not the only one), find your condescending attempts to educate us and show us how smart you are and how superior you are to be very rude. You repeatedly talk down to us, but you are not superior. You are just another person on a very casual cake forum.

I work in medicine. I might say to someone here or where I work "That will have no ill effects" or "That will not cause any uncomfortable side effects." I could, instead, say "That will not produce any deleterious effects." Even if people know what "deleterious" means, it is not commonly used in a casual conversation, so I don't use it except in medical writing for publication, and I certainly don't use it and include the meaning and the derivation. I regard your "equine masticatory etc." in the same category.

I was notified of your ridiculous posts in this thread. I will go back to blocking you.
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:11pm
post #39 of 39

Thank you, pastrypet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%