Stacking Layers When Using A Very Moist Cake Recipe

Decorating By clothandcake Updated 8 Oct 2014 , 9:31pm by Lili5768

clothandcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clothandcake Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and posted this question twice earlier this week and it never gets posted (seems to go into a queue for approval and never returns), so I'm posting a much shorter version here, and will elaborate if this actually gets posted. My question is how to build a stacked tier when using a VERY moist/wet cake recipe... or whether this is just too unwise a plan to begin with. Thanks.

2 replies
clothandcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clothandcake Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 3

Yay! It actually went through this time. So I'll add some details:

I'm baking a cake for my Grandma's birthday. I want to use a recipe she made for us many times over the years, which is a chocolate-cherry cake (involving devil's food boxed mix and cherry pie filling to replace some of the wet ingredients). Perhaps not the most elegant and refined recipe, I know, but it has major nostalgia value for all of our family. The frosting is essentially a ganache.

The cake is really moist, and I'm wondering whether I am unwise to be planning to make a 8" w x 5" h layer cake with it? (Traditionally my grandma baked all cakes in a 9x13" pan, so I've never seen this done as a layer cake.) My plan is to do 4 layers of cake, filled and frosted with ganache, then covered with marshmallow fondant. I also have to drive 90 miles to the birthday party, so am worried about the transportation as well. I will definitely put bubble tea straws in, but am mostly concerned just about the cake being too wet and tender to hold it's own weight.

I've made a number of layer cakes, including some multi-tiered wedding and birthday cakes over the years. So I'm not a complete novice but no expert either.

Thanks for any advice/tips you have for me!!

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 3

Well that cake sounds very tasty! 

I'm really not sure of the answer,but I'm thinking that since the supports you will use will actually be resting on the board below and not the actual cake, it might be possible,

What I am wondering about is will the cake be strong enough to stand upto and under the fondant? 

I know more experienced cakers will come along and give you the correct advice. I have never tried this myself.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%