Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By Aish90 Updated 18 Dec 2014 , 7:54pm by MBalaska

Aish90 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:32am
post #1 of 19

AI was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to make swiss meringue buttercream sweeter after making it? I just made a lot of it but it is very bland... :(

18 replies
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:39am
post #2 of 19

Ai would add vanilla to bring out the flavor

Aish90 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:42am
post #3 of 19

AI tried that....and I can taste the vanilla but it is still not sweet enough...

AZCouture Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:46am
post #4 of 19

Well that's a new one, never heard that of that problem before. :D Personally, I add a full cup more than is called for when I make mine. I've adapted this recipe to fit my needs, been using it for years now. I generally make a quadruple batch, using 21 eggs, 5 cups of sugar, and twelve sticks of butter.

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

Aish90 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:52am
post #5 of 19

AThank you. I will definitely try your recipe next rime :( but for now.....I don't know how to fix ir rhis tub I made... if I add powdered sugar will that change the consistency?

TheNerdyBaker Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:55am
post #6 of 19

Yea, I've adapted my recipe of choice to use a good 50% more sugar and the end result is still super silky SMBC but with just enough sweetness for my taste.

I have also heard of people dosing the fully finished SMBC with some powdered sugar to create a hybrid SM/ABC.  I did this once and found that the amount I used didn't affect the mouth feel of my SMBC at all, so I guess it might be a valid alternative.

Natka81 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:25am
post #7 of 19

@AZCouture, how big is your mixer?

LisaPeps Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 6:59am
post #8 of 19

New one on me too, I use a shed load of vanilla and its sweet enough for me. Tastes like vanilla ice cream, I use sweet appolitas recipe on her blog. 

anisha903 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 11:16am
post #9 of 19

Hi,

I had the same problem and sweetend mine with icing sugar and it worked fine.

Sorry for gatecrashing your thread. But l have leftover swiss meringue buttercream and french buttercream (to use up the yolks) and wonder if they can be mixed together to fill another cake?

Anisha

yortma Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 19

A quick fix would be to mix in equal parts (or to taste) of ABC. It would be sweeter, but still creamier and less sweet than if straight up.    I love SMBC and use it almost exclusively.  Every once in a while though, I want something a little sweeter, especially for kids,  and found this recipe on CC.  This is halfway between SMBC and ABC and is what I use when a sweeter BC is called for.  I especially like it with chopped oreos for a cookies 'n cream filling.  Mixing SMBC and ABC together gets you about the same thing too.   HTH.   

http://www.cakecentral.com/a/fluffy-american-buttercream

mattyeatscakes Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 19

A

Original message sent by yortma

A quick fix would be to mix in equal parts (or to taste) of ABC. It would be sweeter, but still creamier and less sweet than if straight up.    I love SMBC and use it almost exclusively.  Every once in a while though, I want something a little sweeter, especially for kids,  and found this recipe on CC.  This is halfway between SMBC and ABC and is what I use when a sweeter BC is called for.  I especially like it with chopped oreos for a cookies 'n cream filling.  Mixing SMBC and ABC together gets you about the same thing too.   HTH.   

[URL=http://www.cakecentral.com/a/fluffy-american-buttercream]http://www.cakecentral.com/a/fluffy-american-buttercream[/URL]

Hi! So when you mix SMBC and ABC it does not deflate or currdle the SMBC?! Got to try that :) yes, because sometimes it's nice to get that happy medium of between not too sweet and too sweet :)

Cevamal Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 19

AOnly tangentially related: is SMBC firm enough to use as a frosting dam between layers?

MBalaska Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cevamal 

Only tangentially related: is SMBC firm enough to use as a frosting dam between layers?

I think that I'd sift in a touch of powdered sugar to stiffen it up a bit first.  Just to the bit that you're going to use for the dam.

yortma Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 12:46am
post #14 of 19

I have never had any trouble mixing smbc to ABC - I add the ABC gradually to the smbc.  I use smbc as a dam all the time. Once in a while if the filling seems a extra squishy, i use ABC for the dam, and smbc as usual for the rest.  

AZCouture Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 1:38am
post #15 of 19

ASix qt. It puffs all the way up and you need the shield.

Natka81 Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 2:45am
post #16 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Six qt. It puffs all the way up and you need the shield.

Ok, my KA is 6qt. too. Thanks

Cevamal Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 5:16pm
post #17 of 19

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

I think that I'd sift in a touch of powdered sugar to stiffen it up a bit first.  Just to the bit that you're going to use for the dam.

Thanks!

Aish90 Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 6:50pm
post #18 of 19

AThank you everyone :)

MBalaska Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 7:54pm
post #19 of 19

I'm absolutely positively convinced that the Big Secret to making Swiss Meringue Buttercream is to first beat your egg-sugar meringue mixture to FIRM PEAKS.

I've never had a single problem with it since I started putting my focus on achieving stiff firm peaks at the beginning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%