Background For Cakes Pictures

Decorating By CCHbakery Updated 9 Oct 2014 , 10:11pm by SRumzis

CCHbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCHbakery Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 3:28am
post #1 of 19

Hey guys, 

I'm having trouble getting a good picture of my cakes. I do have a decent and newer digital camera, but without perfect lighting or a background I don't know what to do. How do you make your backgrounds? I've tried using nice sheets and hanging them up behind the cake. The picture was zoomed in so you couldn't actually tell that  it was a sheet, but it still looked really cheesy to me. I don't really know what else to use as a background… it's so disheartening because I work so hard on a cake and the pictures just don't ever do them justice.

PLEASE HELP!!! Any tips you can give me on what to do for a background would be so appreciated! I feel like my cakes won't be taken as seriously because they don't look professional. 

18 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 3:54am
post #2 of 19

I think Craftsy was offering a cake photo class if I recall.  Found it.  http://www.craftsy.com/class/building-your-business-beautiful-cake-photography/4266;jsessionid=549006CE15BB1998E10FF3BE5BA91B74.ccr001?initialPage=true

Here is a blog post about photographing cakes.

http://thecakeblog.com/2014/09/beautiful-cake-photography.html

and this place sells back drops for cakes.  http://www.sugarhighinc.ecwid.com/

I don't do anything this fancy but recalled seeing these posts recently from The Cake Blog on facebook.

CCHbakery Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 4:49am
post #3 of 19

AI was thinking about putting wrapping paper on a foam board as a little DIY backdrop but I was afraid the flash might catch it and distract from the cake. Those look great, but just a smidgen expensive since I'd love to have a few background to go with the theme.. thanks for all your help though!!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 6:48am
post #4 of 19

AI definitely find sheets to be really cheesy. I did that for awhile, and also used cuts of fabric, so I've been there. As long as your lighting is good, and you [B]don't[/B] aim your flash right at it, the background doesn't matter so much. Now if it's cluttered and messy or has focal points that draw the eye away from the cake, yeah, that's no bueno. I usually take mine in the front parlor in front of my tall windows, get far away from the cake and zoom in tight (gives the background some blur) and make sure my flash is aimed at the ceiling. I have a big external flash on a swivel, which helps.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 6:55am
post #5 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCHbakery 

I was thinking about putting wrapping paper on a foam board as a little DIY backdrop but I was afraid the flash might catch it and distract from the cake. Those look great, but just a smidgen expensive since I'd love to have a few background to go with the theme.. thanks for all your help though!!

@CCHbakery the photos of your wedding cakes have beautiful backgrounds.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 6:58am
post #6 of 19

I picked up two pieces of white foam core board,  one for the bottom and one for the back ground works great.

CCHbakery Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 19

Thank you! I've actually photoshopping the backgrounds on my pictures because i hated them so much! However, doing that to every single cake can be so time consuming. I'd rather just get a nice background on the first shot. 

CCHbakery Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 19

Do you prefer white or black backgrounds?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 19

I use a cheap white roller blind from Ikea that rolls up out of the way when I'm not using it. It's wide enough and long enough to be the background and the surface the cake pedestal sits on so there is no join at the back edge. You can fix it to the top of a wall or to your ceiling, wherever it won't bother you when it's rolled up.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 19

And I use a tripod and, like AZ, stand a long way from the cake and zoom in - it stops distortion of round tiers.

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 19

Sugar High Inc.  sells some really nice photo backdrops.  Google her.  I think they run about $30

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 19

I use a science project board. You can get them at Michael's or Walmart. I like it b/c you can get different colors and it's 3 sided so you don't see the chair next to the table, etc.

CCHbakery Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 19

Great idea! I didn't think about using a tri-fold board. Has anyone tried to use a board for a background, under the cake, and then two for the sides? I wonder if that would make the lighter better as well. 

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 6:22pm
post #14 of 19

A

Original message sent by Dayti

I use a cheap white roller blind from Ikea that rolls up out of the way when I'm not using it. It's wide enough and long enough to be the background and the surface the cake pedestal sits on so there is no join at the back edge. You can fix it to the top of a wall or to your ceiling, wherever it won't bother you when it's rolled up.

That's genius. A piece of thin poster board works well: you bend it gently so it's under and behind the object being photographed but I was at a loss as to how to adapt that method to a larger cake.

honeybee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybee1 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 19

I bought some printed paper in Michael's Craft Store.  It's made for bulletin boards, etc.  They have different solid colors, jungle print, blue and white sky, plank boards print, and are on a roll 4' by 9 '.  I've used it as a back drop and they've looked real nice.  I've only used the sky and plank boards, which is a little rustic looking.  Cost isn't too bad if you use their 50% or 40% off coupons.  I cut off about a 5' length and you can use them a long time, or until you accidentally mess them up.  The paper is heavy duty too and holds up well.  Just a thought!!  :-)  I'm a hobby, home baker who occasionally bakes for $$$.  Bake mainly for family, friends, church, and grandchildren.

honeybee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybee1 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 7:27pm
post #16 of 19

P.s.  The cost for the rolls of paper is only $9.00, without the discounts.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 9:09pm
post #17 of 19

I use long rolls of wrapping paper.  They're not expensive and you can find almost any color or design.

I tape the paper at the top of the window behind my table. You can tape it up on a bare wall.  Don't cut it, just make the bend and bring it under your cake and out.  Zoom in so you don't see the edges of the paper.  When you're done, just roll it back up and save it for next time.  I also don't focus any light at the cake itself.  The reflected light is so much softer than a direct glare.

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 9:55pm
post #18 of 19

Used pretty scrapbook paper taped to a three sided board. The ones I got gome 10 papers to a book and they have glitter, prints or stencils on top. The books are like 5 or 6 dollars.  I don't bake that much so I no longer bother :)

Here's one where I used it. 

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 10:11pm
post #19 of 19

AI use a roller blind like dayti. I also will get fabric from the wholesale store and glue it to foam core board from dollar tree if I want a fancier background, I still use the roller blind I just put the fabric covered board for the vertical background.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%