Transporting Flowers Over A Long Distance

Decorating By candycakes51 Updated 7 Oct 2014 , 1:18am by candycakes51

candycakes51 Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

Haven't been on for a while but I have a situation that I need some assistance with and I know one of my fellow Cake Central experts can give me some guidance in this.

I am transporting a wedding cake over 200 miles that will have a large number of flowers placed on it, mostly daisies since that is the bride's favorite.  I will be assembling the cake upon arrival.  Time constraints mean I have to make the flowers here then transport them to the wedding for assembly on the cake.  I am worried about breakage, especially the petals on the daisies.  I will be traveling by car. 

Any suggestions?

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 7

wrap each one lightly in a kind of wadded up paper towel -- fully encased in the towel but not tight -- and place in a sheet cake box one next to the other so that even if the box slides the flowers inside do not slide -- add extra wadded up paper towels to ensure nothing slides -- a set up like this gives me no worries on at all on delivery day -- they are so light weight and packed so that nothing can hurt them --

sometimes you have to bend the stem 90 degrees to get everything to cooperate -- or roll it up a bit -- worth the extra effort for the peace of mind --

traveling mercies for you

-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 7

i remember watching reality tv where cakes were being delivered in new york city often in cabs -- and they would carry the flowers all open and with the wires stuck in foam clickety /clacketing together all the way wherever they went -- trotting down the stairs with them all the way in the cab getting out at the venue, blowing in the breeze -- omg each click and clack gave me another heart attack -- but they made it somehow and that girl's cakes were awesome -- and while it worked for them i would never carry flowers like that --

Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 7

ATo hold the flowers gently you could line a box with a very plush folded towel. Dent where you want to place the flowers and each will have it's own little soft nest. Will help insulate with bumpy roads.

maybenot Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 7

I've carried delicate flowers--gum paste & royal icing--in cars & on planes.  My very favorite packing material is the cheapest toilet paper I can find.

I take a large box, unravel a roll of paper to cover the bottom, I wrap each flower lightly [but well] in the TP and is it in.  Once I have a layer of flowers done that way, I unroll another roll on top and do it all over again until I have filled the box. 

It'll weigh nothing, but those flowers will survive the trip.

candycakes51 Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 1:16am
post #6 of 7

I used to watch that show too, and thought the same thing!! 

candycakes51 Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 1:18am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.  These flowers won't be on wires so I think I will try Maybenot's suggestion.  Sounds like a good one!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%