Do You Bake With Convection?

Decorating By Cevamal Updated 7 Oct 2014 , 12:12am by kakeladi

Cevamal Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 7

I've had a Breville toaster oven with convection for years and use it often.

I have a new oven with convection and it's terrible. The temperature runs really low and I haven't yet figured out if it's consistent enough that I could use it if I monkeyed with the set temperature. I'm testing it now (spreadsheet!) but since I have convection on the brain I figured I'd start a thread here amongst all these expert bakers.

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 7

my home oven is no bueno -- so i use my deluxe cake oven for everything -- it has mild convection -- works great -- some convection ovens are perfectly tornadic and that would get on my nerves -- when i replace my home oven i doubt i would get convection --

vldutoit Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 1:55am
post #3 of 7

I have an awesome Kennmore (yes, a Kennmore) convection home oven.  I love it!  I had never used a convection oven until we remodeled our kitchen about 15 years ago and my husband bought this set up.  It was top of the line back then but if my house were to catch fire, the first thing I would grab would be my Kitchen Aid and then go back after my oven!  It does take some trial and error with your recipes though but I promise, once you get used to it, you will love it.

cai0311 Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 7

AFor some reason the poll won't work for me.

I have a Samsung oven at home which has the option to convection bake or not. I use the convection bake option on all my cakes, cupcakes and cookies. I don't think I could ever go back to a regular oven.

Since I can bake cakes on all three oven racks at the same time it has cut my baking time down by a third. I can now bake a 4 tier wedding cake in less than 2 hours.

Cevamal Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 7

AI want to know what the answer was I didn't think of!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

mild convection -- works great -- some convection ovens are perfectly tornadic and that would get on my nerves -- when i replace my home oven i doubt i would get convection --

it's not like real hurricane force convection :-D  lite, sugar free, 1/2 the fat of regular

kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 12:12am
post #7 of 7

When I had my bakery there was a combination convection/regular bake oven.  I tried using the convection but it blew the batter out of the pan :(   I covered probably 3/4ths of the fan w/foil and that helped but I still didn't like using the convection - didn't see any difference and when the foil flew off I just stopped using it altogether.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%