Ultimate Butter Cake Recipe

Baking By camomama5 Updated 30 Dec 2014 , 3:45pm by shaloop

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 7:33pm
post #31 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by vldutoit 

Lol MB! You don't put that much in so that your cake can take off the runway!

I think just for a change I'll try a Yellow Cake box mix WACS recipe from the recipe section.  Not sure I've ever tried that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by camomama5 

MBalaska....checked out your hunting cakes. Really nice. Love the grizzly bear one. And as a hunter myself (shotgun and bow) those 20 g. shells are dead on. Awesome!

Thanks @camomama5  the bears are a first impression mold, the shells are a Jennifer Donzt mold from 'Sugar Delites'

MBalaska Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 2:32am
post #32 of 40

@vldutoit  here's a quick vid that agrees with you about glycerin in cake. I guess if I can't taste that bitterness in homemade fondant, I wouldn't taste it in cake either.   silly old me.

http://sweetwise.com/videos/glycerin.html

1 tsp. glycerin to 17 oz. flour.

MBalaska Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 10:52pm
post #33 of 40

Cake in the oven with glycerine.  You are right @vldutoit, it wasn't enough to lite up a jumbo jet at the Anchorage International Airport.  I didn't even taste it in the batter.  And the batter is always soooo yummy.

The recommendations online said to use about 1 tsp. glycerine for 500 grams of dry ingredients (flour).  So I went with an even tsp.  Then came the question: when do I put it in?  I added it with the butter/ sugar beating.

It was a Sylvia Weinstock yellow butter cake recipe.  And I also experimented with that.  Her early recipe said to use milk.  Her later recipe said to use sour cream in place of milk - so I split the difference.   Add flour, added milk, added flour, added sour cream.  pretty easy to do.

It's all in the oven now, at least what is left of the batter (I could just eat that with a spork or in a horsed nosebag).

**edited to add and clarify.........the recipes call for a cup of one or the other. One cup milk, or one cup sour cream.  I used 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup sour cream total.  Dang it smells good in here.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 12:50am
post #34 of 40

AI toss it in with the milk but I don't think it really matters. I made the butter cake you posted yesterday and could have eaten the entire bowl of batter!!! I made them into cupcakes and there are three left. Now to be fair I cannot tolerate much sugar but my kids and grandkids devoured them. Love those scratch cakes!

MBalaska Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 2:48am
post #35 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by vldutoit 

I toss it in with the milk but I don't think it really matters. I made the butter cake you posted yesterday and could have eaten the entire bowl of batter!!! I made them into cupcakes and there are three left. Now to be fair I cannot tolerate much sugar but my kids and grandkids devoured them. Love those scratch cakes!

I KNOW!!  It's crazy good how fabulous the batter tastes.  Those cakes are my favorite for eating right out of the pan.   Most people don't care for the denser scratch cakes, so I've even tried the old tip of putting a tablespoon of Wilton Meringue powder in the batch.  It does lighten the cake up a bit without changing the flavor.  Makes it more puffed up and springy so-to-speak.

............but the batter is out-of-this-world yummy.  I'm still thinking of adding some simply sugar syrup to get the baked cake a little moister, that will be left for another day.

MBalaska Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 4:59am
post #36 of 40

Glycerine in the cake batter.  Once again I made a batch of my butter cake recipe and put in two teaspoons of glycerine this time.   The cake is really moist. So the glycerine is going to be a regular addition to my recipe.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 3:35pm
post #37 of 40

AAwesome

Original message sent by MBalaska

Glycerine in the cake batter.  Once again I made a batch of my butter cake recipe and put in two teaspoons of glycerine this time.   The cake is really moist. So the glycerine is going to be a regular addition to my recipe.

old timers tips are awesome are they not? Happy holidays to you!

MBalaska Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 7:32pm
post #38 of 40

Merry Christmas!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 8:21pm
post #39 of 40

Merry Christmas to you, too, MBalaska!  Merry Christmas to all Cake Central members!

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 3:45pm
post #40 of 40

AI replace about 1/4 of the butter with oil for cakes that need to keep for a while. Stays soft and moist. In this case, I've just added 1/4 cup oil with the rest of the recipe the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%