Big Fondant Ruffles

Decorating By itdoesntbatter Updated 6 Oct 2014 , 4:36am by kakeladi

itdoesntbatter Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 3:57am
post #1 of 5

ACan anybody tell me how to make these big loopy looking ruffles with buttercream? The gorgeous ones in the pic look like fondant. [IMG][/IMG]I hope I can duplicate in buttercream. I can do normal ruffles but these look different. Any takers?

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 4:02am
post #2 of 5

You won't get the exact same look but all you need is to use a *big* rose tip - something like maybe 124?  I've forgotten exactly which one it would be.  When you pipe just wiggle you hand a bit to make it ruffle.

You might even be able to get a similar look just using tip 104 but I think you will want the lgr one.

itdoesntbatter Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 4:10am
post #3 of 5

AWiggle my hand up and down slightly? Side to side? And also, with the loopy look, how would make sure those were all completely even? I always mess up those perfect ruffle lines

kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 2:59am
post #4 of 5

.........Wiggle my hand up and down slightly?...........

It's been a very long time since I;ve done any like that but I as I remember it will be rotating you wrist side to side.  You're not going to get it to look like loopy bows  - as shown in the picture - using b'cream.  All you can do is make it ruffled.  Do a yahoo search for 'icing ruffle tutorial' for more help.

The only way to get it to look like the picture is by making the ruffles with fondant.

kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 4:36am
post #5 of 5

You can make them more like this: 

Make short scallops and layer ruffle upon ruffle to get a look that is similar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%