Steaming Frangipanis

Decorating By cazza1 Updated 5 Oct 2014 , 6:50am by winniemog

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 3:08am
post #1 of 4

I have steamed many flowers on wires before but never ones with no wires.  I have over 100 frangipanis that I have dusted yellow and now plan to add pink to their backs.  How do I steam them over a boiling jug without them having a mark where held from tweezers or burning my fingers?  And when I put them down they will be damp so how do I stop them marking where they sit in the foam?  Normally they would hang on wires and not touch anything and it is not a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

3 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 6:23am
post #2 of 4

Do you have to steam them at all? They dont always need it. i dont like the sheen it gives them.

If you really want to do it how about using a shallow pan of boiling water and just passing them over it on a rack?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 6:27am
post #3 of 4

@cazza1  I sure don't know anything about steaming flowers,  I'm really looking forward to seeing yours, and I may be way off base but this popped into my mind:

Personal handheld portable steamer.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EYHAGS/?tag=cakecentral-20+portable+steamer

you could do all of them on one side, let them dry, turn them over & do the other side. I sure hope someone has a much better idea.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 6:50am
post #4 of 4

AActually MB, that's precisely what I was going to recommend. Cazza1, I have a garment steamer I bought cheaply from Kmart, I use it on large batches of flowers or other pieces that need a steam, even on some types of cakes. It's really handy. I use a pot of boiling water for a small batch of wired flowers

If I only need to steam one thing I've been known to boil the kettle and wave the item in the steam - but I've been warned by friends that this can lead to petals in your kettle....hasn't happened to me yet though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%