Any Talented Cake Decorator In San Francisco Or San Diego To Take A Class With,please!!!

Decorating By meriam Updated 5 Oct 2014 , 11:17pm by meriam

meriam Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 6

hi everyone,

i m living on a tropical island where i struggle by myself with cake decorating:no supplier,no class,nearly nothing to help me master my skills,except internet...and most of a all "tropical weather" without air con!!

well,a real challenge everyday,but i m still loving it...just as a hobby baker to bring some stars in my kids eyes!!

well,i m not traveling a lot,but i m happy to go for few days in San Francisco &San Diego in october,and i would love to take this opportunity to take a class with someone talented,i know there are plenty among you,CC members!!

i don t know if one of you could find some free time(one day in each place would be perfect!),at a reasonnable price(i don t have an open budget!)

i can say i m an intermediate level,because i practice regularly,but there are still a lot to learn!!

and i would love to be able to sell some of my cakes,in order to be able to stay at home & take care of my 2 daugthers.

i don t know anything about business,and i know this is a big deal,i don t want to do it "just like that",

so i need a lot of advices from homebased bakers also.

Is there someone out there who can help me deal with that?

We could talk about how to arrange this class.

happy decorating everyone

5 replies
AZCouture Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 6

ALook up Baking Arts in SF, Richard has classes there every week, and could definitely tell you who to track down.

MBalaska Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 6

How were your classes in NY & Florida last year?  Did you get your classes with Toba Garett?

http://www.cakecentral.com/t/756232/classes-in-nyc-area-and-orlando-florida#post_7376516

costumeczar Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 6

Message CC member @FromScratchSF, she's located in San Francisco.

Apti Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 1:23am
post #5 of 6

Meriam~~

San Diego has classes all over with very talented people.  I would recommend you start with the website:

http://www.doitwithicing.com/

Look at the Class Schedule and see if anything appeals to you.  These classes fill up fast, so if any fit your interests, you need to reserve right away.

There are many superb teachers available:  Amy Malone, Tami Utley, Linda Bills, Valerie Lindsey, Charity Pykles-George, Linda Butler, Kathleen Lange, etc.  One of these individuals may be willing or able to offer a special one-on-one teaching opportunity, but you would obviously have to offer specific dates/times and determine how much you wish to $pend with an instructor if you are looking for something other than previously scheduled classes.    

There are two cake specialty stores that have some classes in the south part of San Diego near the Mexican border. 

http://www.standlees.com/

http://www.labodegacakesupplies.com/

La Bodega Cake supplies offer information in Spanish.

If you wish to travel by car about 1-1/2 to 2 hours outside San Diego, you can see what classes may be available from Susan Carberry, another superb teacher.

http://thecakecottage.net/

You are welcome to send me a PM on this site if you have any specific questions about the teachers or the classes.  Most of the wonderful teachers listed above are members of the San Diego Cake Club.  I am most fortunate to be a member of this club!

meriam Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 6

thank you very much everyone for your help!

i knew i could rely on you CC members for some more help!!

AZCouture,thank you for the link,this is really interesting,Richard is hosting a lot of fabulous cake decorators that i would dream to meet and learn from!!

i ve already looked at the schedules, for the moment there's nothing in this period,but for sure,i m gonna contact him by mail for more informations,i m sure he can help me find something interesting;thank you very much!!

MBalaska,you remember this post?it was one and half year ago! Lol!

thank you for asking:in fact,i had a great class with an instructor from D&G Occasion in Orlando(Juanita Taylor)she s a great personn,very nice and generous in sharing  her knowledge.i took a class for making sugar flowers with her,but i didn t have time and budget to take another class,as far as i took this opportunity to buy all the important tools i was not able to get where i live,,and i can tell you this was a huge quantity,and of course a huge expense!!

Unfortunately,i could not take a class with Toba Garett,my budget was under what they asked,and anyway the shedules didn t fit my dates.

costumeczar,thank you for the link,i m really IMPRESSED by her talent!!waw! i will for sure try to contact her,even if i m sure she s fully booked,with such a talent!!

Apti,thanks a lot for all those links,i m gonna take time to look at all of them,this is really helpful!!

i send you all my best wishes,

meriam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%