Firm Strawberry Bc

Decorating By julia1812 Updated 3 Oct 2014 , 4:59pm by julia1812

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 12

AHi, I'm looking for a recipe for strawberry BC, that is rich in flavor but firm enough to hold up shape. Am doing a basket weave on a cake with strawberry filling and want to match the BC with the strawberry flavor. The cake will be displayed for some time before eaten and I'm worried the recipe I have won't hold up to that

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 12

it's been my experience that pureed strawberries will not incorporate well aka smoothly into buttercream -- so it might not pipe well either -- you might do better with the juice of the strawberries -- i think the strawberry flavor will get lost unless you punch it up with a flavored oil like a lorann strawberry oil --

and blue icing is usually associated with a raspberry flavor but it's not written in stone or anything --

if it's hot there you could toss in some sifted flour or cornstarch into your icing for extra holding power --1/4 cup or so

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 12

AI would suggest researcing strawberry syrup recipes. You cook down strawberries and strawberry juice (along with a few other ingredients) to a thick syrup consistancey. Then add the syrup to your buttercream. I would make sure the buttercream is very thick to start out so it doesn't become to watery for a filling. The buttercream dam should be regular buttercream. That will help hold in the filling it that buttercream is watery/soft.

I don't think you will be able to color strawberry icing blue. The icing will pink/red. Once you add blue coloring you will get the color purple.

julia1812 Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 12

AK8, I was thinking of straining the strawberry puree to achieve a smoother look... Never heard of adding cornstarch or flour to buttercream. Won't that taste wired? Cai0311, the filling is actually not buttercream, but a classic (German) strawberry filling. And yes, the color is my concern too! I can't get any raspberries or blueberries here at the moment and I'm all set for strawberries. The blue color is just to match all the blue for the " boy theme". It's actually not for the cake (the basket will be brown) but for the cupcakes. Hmm, purple is not what they want! I thought the butter cream might just have a pale pink color and I could get away with adding looots.of blue. No?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 12

I made strawberry/berry buttercream recently.  I started with an SMBC base, pureed the fruit, strained and cooked down the juice, added suspended cornstarch until I got a thick curd-like consistency and let it cool. It blended seamlessly into the buttercream and tasted delicious!  The buttercream was not thinned and piped like it normally does.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia1812 

K8, I was thinking of straining the strawberry puree to achieve a smoother look...
Never heard of adding cornstarch or flour to buttercream. Won't that taste wired?

you said it was hot and you did not want it to melt -- that's a prescription for that -- there's no difference in taste but when you sample the icing with flour -- you can feel it in the back of your throat -- but if it's eaten on the cake then it's not noticed -- it's just not as melty down the hatch and on the cake -- the cornstarch one is not as secure as the flour one to protect against humidity but you don't notice it at all in the icing -- symptoms and side effects -- just gotta weigh out the pros and cons --

julia1812 Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 5:45am
post #7 of 12

AYes, that's right, k8! Side effects, lol

julia1812 Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 6:25am
post #8 of 12

AWhat about "whipped cream"? I read that adding a few table spoons of it to your BC helps keep it firm in humid climate. It's this powder. Some call it "dream whip". Any experience with that???

-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 12

my experience with the dream whip packets is that i put in my cakes not my icings -- but yes some people do put it in icing --

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 12

I have used freeze dried strawberries that I have purchased at the Fresh Market and Target with great results.  I pulse it in my food processor first.  Just be careful, as the freeze dried version is potent and a little goes a long way.

Cakeymom

julia1812 Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 12

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3291218/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Okay, so this is my "strawberry jelly" so far. Decided to cook it with lime juice and some cornstarch to thicken after I strained the strawberries

julia1812 Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 12

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3291297/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Okay, it's done! I used actually not the jelly and was brave using some of the liquid strained strawberries :) I started with butter and food coloring and very slowly added the strawberry liquid (and lime juice) - and there was no change in color at all! So actually now I'm making the cupcakes AND the basket weave on the cake in blue. Then I added (now really brave, lol) some strawberry flavor, 5ml, cause I really want the flavor to come through. And of course icing sugar. For the cake buttercream batch I added my newly purchased dream whip AND cornstarch. Probably a bit of an overkill!? But want that BC to hold up shape... Thank you all so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%