Opinion On Order Of Tiers For Wedding Cake And Rosette Cake Help!

Decorating By Jenny BakesAlot Updated 7 Oct 2014 , 11:34pm by Jenny BakesAlot

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 12

This was drawn by the bride.  We are putting the rosette tier on the bottom.  AND we are putting the rhinestone belt right above that.  I can't decide if I should do the top tier in the texture (sort of a paisley) or if I should do the top tier with the pillow/rhinestones.  If I do the 1st option, the 2 tiers with rhinestones will be one on top of the other.  If I do the latter, the rhinestone tiers will be alternating.  The topper is a silver initial with rhinestones.  The bride is fine with either way.  

Also, I have never stacked on top of a rosette cake before.  What do I do with the top outer edges?  There is not enough space there for roses unless I put mini roses.  Will that look right?

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 12

oh i think i getcha do you mean a choice between:

choice 1

rhinestone/pillow

paisley

rhinestone belt

rosette

or 

choice 2

paisley

rhinestone/pillow

rhinestone belt

rosette

i think i would like the more texturous things put closer together -- i actually like her drawing the best and just flip the bottom tiers but i think each tier needs some bling to be cohesive -- but it the topper is blinged out that helps -- and if the paisley has silver in it that works -- and i would want a few silver dots in the rosettes --

but i would also like the big textures on top & bottom tiers as in choice 1 -- there's no wrong way to do it -- i would err on the side of what's easier for me ;)

but the bigger issue is who is gonna be sure nobody eats one of these things and who picks up the pieces of a shredded colon and the lawsuit to follow -- the rhinestone belt is not the problem that the individual rhinestones present -- can you use edible ones for that?

:-D 

Jenny BakesAlot Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 12

Lol!  There should be no shredded colons!  I am using edible rhinestones!  The reason for the switch of the rosette tier to the bottom is because of the difference in circumference.  If left as the 2nd from the bottom, there would be very little space between bottom and 2nd tier and a lot more space between 2nd and 3rd.  (going bottom up).

I was leaning toward choice 1 also because I think the rhinestones in the top tier would look good with the topper.  Another reason is the 2nd tier's fondant is a tiny bit messed up, and the texture mat can help cover that!  :)

Thanks for your opinion!  Now, I just haven't figured out the top outer edge of the rosette tier. 

-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny BakesAlot 

The reason for the switch of the rosette tier to the bottom is because of the difference in circumference.  If left as the 2nd from the bottom, there would be very little space between bottom and 2nd tier and a lot more space between 2nd and 3rd.  (going bottom up).

change the size of the cake so it fits wherever you want it and making less rosettes is better for you -- but it's cool on the bottom too --

Quote:

Another reason is the 2nd tier's fondant is a tiny bit messed up, and the texture mat can help cover that!  :)

you already made it? so confused...

Quote:

Lol!  There should be no shredded colons!  I am using edible rhinestones!  

excellent -- hate that whole shredded thing :D some brides will try & talk you into anything so just making sure there ---

Quote:

Now, I just haven't figured out the top outer edge of the rosette tier. 

what would be cool would be impress it with a rose impression mat so it's the negative (like a photograph negative) of the rosettes but smooth is perfectly fine and easier and the cake is busy enough -- busy in a good way

Jenny BakesAlot Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 12

Yes, I already made it but was at the point where the top 3 tiers were covered in fondant and ready for the final steps.  I since have attached the rhinestone band (love it!), made the pillow indentions, and attempted the textured tier.  It is humid, and the cake is sticky.  I tried rubbing cornstarch all over the sides to keep it dry, and I have a fan blowing, but it is completely sticking to the cake. I wrecked half of it already and not sure what to do about it.  Aah!

-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 12

it says on my order blank that i reserve the right to do the cake to the best of my ability -- which in this case means that i'm gonna pipe the last tier instead of using a texture sheet -- so there's that -- or what happens if you chill it -- fridges can dry fondant but bringing them to room temp makes them weep -- if you redo the fondant you might want to knead in some cornstarch or tylose to firm it up a bit --

best to you!

Jenny BakesAlot Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 12

Here is the cake.  I decided on mini rosettes for the 2nd tier after taking votes.  

-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 12

beautiful -- well done, elegant-- i love it

Jenny BakesAlot Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you!!   :-D

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 12

You did a great job on the cake.  I like how it all came together.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 12

FAB!!  I love it.

Jenny BakesAlot Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 11:34pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%