Cake Bulging??

Decorating By neda_la Updated 2 Oct 2014 , 1:57pm by -K8memphis

neda_la Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 11:45am
post #1 of 4

Dear all,

As most of you suggested, I placed a heavy book on my cake after layering it with buttercream for couple of hours, and you can still see the end result of my cake!;-((

Please tell me what to do!! Maybe it is the way I smooth the top and surface of the fondant my cakes?

Thanks as always!

Neda

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 4

the book thing is separate from your issue --

i think in this cake you wanted a sharp edge and you've overworked that area so much to get it to be sharp -- i think fondant like any other icing needs to be stretched enough in order to perform to it's capacity to perform but when you work it back and forth to crisp the edge it's just not gonna stay there because you want it to --it's gonna sag like that and the icing underneath is not holding it -- it's a balancing act --

the fondant and that icing underneath gets warmed up the more we brush brush brush over it with those smoothers so that makes it sag too -- gotta work quickly -- and if you want crisp edges use buttercream -- fondant does best rounded but sure it can be a sharp edge but on your cake the fondant needs to be lifted up and smoothed down again it's too big there from being over worked --

neda_la Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks!! I am sure that is exactly what happened!!;-)

I just didn't quite get what you said I should do! I realise that it happen because I did too much work for too long... But what is the solution?

-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 4

work it less and i apply fondant to nice cold icing underneath --then i fridge it and the fridge dries it on the outside so it stays put at room temp --  i'm not a ganacher although if people around here wanted fondant covered cakes i'd get into that -- not to mention i'm retired anyhow -- but work it less is the answer -- plus i'm careful about how much icing i use on the cake -- if i use more in one spot over another it will tend to sag there -- 

so i shave the edges of my cakes after i assemble the layers into a tier and this makes it shockingly easier to ice them and the icing then can be very consistent underneath the fondant which helps the fondant stay in place -- so that's my whole story --

and some peeps get upset about shaving the sides but it's an easy and great way to get control on things that happen later -- a cake buddy on here just tried this recently and she was surprised at how easy it was and how much easier it was to ice the cake -- it's ridiculous how something so trivial makes such a big difference --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%