I'm So Sad :'(

Lounge By mattyeatscakes Updated 3 Oct 2014 , 4:00am by mattyeatscakes

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 2:53am
post #1 of 12

AI lost my wedding and engagement rings while i was making a cake last saturday :( i always take them off when kneading fondant because i don't like pieces of fondant getting stuck to the settings. I usually put them on the side while i work.

I don't know what happened but i may have thrown them away while i was cleaning up. I looked everywhere, nothing :( huhuhu My DH is very disappointed, and told me that i value cake decorating more than my rings. I don't blame him though. I feel so angry at myself right now, and all i can so is cry :'(

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 3:01am
post #2 of 12
this would be a shocking disappointing event for both of you but this

Quote:

My DH...told me that i value cake decorating more than my rings. 

is not at all a cool thing to say -- i'm mad at him -- of course you don't or you'd have left his sorry self for speaking to you like that -- 

i'm very sorry you lost your rings -- did you check your leftover fondant?

mattyeatscakes Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 3:25am
post #3 of 12

AThanks k8 :) you're a doll.. Sniff sniff :'( yes, i checked all my caking tools, cabinet, floor, left over fondant, tupperwares.. Everywhere :( i think i threw them away with the paper towels. I would go through our trash if yesterday wasn't trash day!!! Argh.. I am just so angry at myself!

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 3:35am
post #4 of 12

I am so sorry for you, I know nothing can make your feel better.  My sister actually lost her $8000 engagement ring the night before Christmas.  She went out for a few last minute Christmas things and after about 30 minutes of being home she realized it was gone (and this was before she got married).  We looked all over the house about 3 times, looked up and down the car even though it was dark and then realized it must have fallen off when she got out.  We got in the car and retraced her steps and went to every store she went to combing through the parking lot and one store that was still open.  We called each store the day after Christmas when they opened back up to check with them and still to this day (this was last Christmas) we never found it.  We think it must have fallen off at one of the stores and someone found it and took it home.  She just got it replaced right before she got married but still was not the same.  This totally ruined Christmas for her and she was crying all day which sucked for all of us and her kids which still tried to hide it from but was very hard. 

goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 4:40am
post #5 of 12

Don't give up! A few years ago I lost a valuable piece of jewelry and, like you, searched everywhere for weeks. Finally gave up and filed an insurance claim. The jewelry was irreplaceable so I just took payment rather than try to replace it. It was enough to remodel my small kitchen. Fast forward a couple years and I took some stuff to the resale shop. The shop owner found my watch in a boot that I hadn't worn since the night I lost it. Soooo...... got it back but I'll be paying back the insurance company for a long time.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 6:05am
post #6 of 12

AI have been exactly where you are, it's an awful feeling. I take off my rings to work with fondant too. I lost my engagement ring for over a week during a class two years ago (finally turned up), and my wedding ring was missing for 9 months - I lost it doing my daughter's birthday cake, and finally found it in the middle of the tea towel drawer when I was spring cleaning months down the track. I'd given up on it for good and I was so sad. Such a relief to find it!

I wish you all the best finding your rings, it's amazing where they can hide - mine had fallen down the back of the drawers and I couldn't find it despite searching all the bins, everything.

And your husband is out of line, you didn't do it on purpose. I'm sure you feel worse than him.

I have learnt my lesson though, now I always slide my rings on to my watch band and put them on the kitchen shelf. It's harder to lose a watch.

Good luck, I've got everything crossed for you.

mattyeatscakes Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 12

AThank you for the kind words everyone, it really cheered me up :) still no sign of my rings, but i am not losing hope of finding them! Miracles happen everyday right? :)

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 12

Call your local Municipality, the City Hall of your town/city.  They will connect you to the trash people and let them know what happened, you accidentally threw them in the trash.

Trash from each area of your town is dumped in a certain location and maybe they can narrow it down and keep their eyes open for them.  Or maybe they already have found them.   Worth a try, it can't hurt to have them keep an eye open for them.  You might get lucky, it's happened before.  But call as soon as possible.

Good luck.  Sorry that happened.

Stranger things have happened, city workers found a diamond ring in city sewer plant pipes that a lady accidentally dropped down the drain.

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 12

Aw sorry to hear about your ring. Of course you valued it, you took it off so you could keep it clean. Do take MsGF's advice and call the city hall- you never know! I really hope you find it x

emetz74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emetz74 Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 12:13am
post #10 of 12

I lost mine a few years ago too. They were soldered together and I was driving and looked at my finger and I had my grandmother's ring on (I also wore them on the same finger) but not my wedding and engagement rings. I have no clue how they came off but I think it may have happened while I walked my dog earlier that day. I waited over a year before I filed the insurance claim, hoping they would turn up and they haven't. It's been three years and just thinking about it makes me sick. I hope yours turn up.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 3:00am
post #11 of 12

How sad for you!! Hopefully your husband has had a chance to calm down and realise that although it was a big mistake it was still an accident and no reflection on your relationship.

I would also suggest talking to your rubbish collectors, you never know your luck, if you were one of the last streets collected from you may be able to find your rubbish bags and sort through them.

I don't know how long you have been together but if you can't find your rings perhaps it would be nice for you to have a private recommitment ceremony. We did that as my Husbands wedding ring had to be replaced and my MIL suggested that the new ring should be blessed. I organised a small ceremony in a place that was special to my Husband and set it all up behind his back. Just my Husband his parents, myself and the priest were there (and it was a great chance to wear my lovely dress again hehe) I organised for him to be staying at his parents farm on the morning of the ceremony and his mum gave him a note telling him to get into his suit and what was going on. I had gotten up early and set up a tent with picnic breaky food for afterwards and then went and got ready.

Maybe if you can do something like that he would also see that it was a complete accident and give a beautiful memory and meaning to your new ring.

Good Luck. 

mattyeatscakes Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 4:00am
post #12 of 12

AHuhuhu i did call the trash site, i asked if there was any chance i could look for it. The guy was nice, he said no because after the trash has been dumped, they are leveled among hundreds of other garbage :( so that made me cry even more, thinking of my rings being in the trash..

My rings meant so much to me. We had a civil marriage three years ago, and after my son and daughter were born, we had a church wedding just this august (like a renewal ceremony). We used the same rings, and it was so intimate as well. Just our parents and siblings.

I don't own any other jewelry, just my rings and i loved them. They were both simple, but so beautiful to me.. I'm sorry if i seem so attached, but thank you all so much for listening and for the kind words :) that's why i love cake central!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%