Cover A Cake With Fondant

Decorating By Sweet_Kakes Updated 30 Sep 2014 , 9:03pm by petitecat

Sweet_Kakes Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever covered a cake in fondant with out crumb coating it. Will that work?

Also, after you have baked and cooled your cakes should you then fill them and crumb coat them then place them in the fridge with something heavy on them to help them settle.

thank you

4 replies
cai0311 Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 5

AYou have to have something between the cake and fondant for two reasons: 1. The fondant takes the shape of what is under it. So all the lumps and bumps on the cake will show. 2. The fondant needs something to "stick" too and cake isn't going to work.

I ice my fondant covered cakes with white chocolate ganache, but buttercream will work too. After I fill my cakes I let them settle overnight in the fridge. Then I ice and cover the next day. I don't put anything on top of the cake to weight it down, but I could see where that is needed if you don't have a full 8+ hours to allow the cake to settle on its own.

petitecat Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 5

ASweet-kakes. What Cai0311 said about fondant.

I do believe cakes should settle outside the fridge though. If they're in the fridge the buttercream/ganache simply hardens, so not really allowing the cake to settle because it can't. I usually do this overnight, or if pressed for time with a book on top for a few hours.

cai0311 Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 5

AI put my cakes in the fridge because a lot of them have fillings that require this.

petitecat Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by cai0311 

I put my cakes in the fridge because a lot of them have fillings that require this.

Cai0311, there's no option then in that case. Hope I don't come across as saying that my method is the only one that's right. I know there's loads of different methods when it comes to cakes :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%