Ganache

Baking By Bobeba Updated 11 Oct 2014 , 6:31am by MBalaska

Bobeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobeba Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 11:17am
post #1 of 12

AI have started using ganache under fondant as I live the final outcome. I ran out of my regular chocolate and didn't have time to make the trip for it again do I used Chipits. I know, some of you will cringe. But it's all I had available from peanut free facility. I used 1kg and 400ml of whipping cream. This is a 2.5:1 ratio I thought. It has set for well over 12 hours bat room temp and is still so soft. Any suggestions? I was sure this ratio would set hard. Please help.

11 replies
MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 12

AI always use Chipits and it tastes great.

Bobeba Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 12

AWhat ratio do you use for under fondant. Currently I used 2.5:1 (1000g:400ml) and it's like peanut butter. Typically it's sets harder. Should I add more chipits or in a thin layer will it set harder? Thanks so much.

MKC Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 12

I use the semi-sweet chipits and the ratio is 2:1. I leave it at room temperature for a few hours before using otherwise it is too soft.

Bobeba Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 12

AWonder what my issue is. I added another 200g of chips and am trying to speed the process with bursts in the fridge. I love using ganache under fondant. But I think ganache hates me.

MKC Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 12

Did you let it set for a few hours? I usually make the ganache the night before and if needed, I microwave it by 10 second increments.

It should look like peanut butter when you mix the ingredients (

Hang in there, ganache is worth it in my opinion.

Bobeba Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 12

It never hardened when at room temp but after I put it in the fridge, it hardened and needed to be microwaved a bit before using. I think I really need to pick a brand of chocolate and stick with that brand. That way to know the correct ratio for a filling and covering without the stress. Chocolate is just so darn expensive in my area. I need to do some more research to find a decent chocolate with a decent price. 

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 12

I'm not familiar with chipits. Are they dark chocolate? It sounds from he name like they might be milk chocolate. If that's the case, then 2.5:1 is too little chocolate.

In any case, you can make ganache work at peanut butter consistency. It's hmore difficult, but when you spread it on the cake, you can fridge it to make it hard, and it should get firmer to touch then.

Bobeba Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 12

AIs all your ganache like peanut butter consistency at room temp? I was told to let come to room temp before covering in fondant and if that's the case won't it get soft again?

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 4:02am
post #10 of 12

I try to have mine firm to the touch at room temp. Because it does get soft again at room temp if it's peanut butter consistency when you put it on. But the bonus of ganache if that it holds its shape pretty well, even when it gets a bit soft. Plus, once you spread it on the cake, it kind-of dries, as well as firms up, so that helps.

Ganache doesn't ever really need to be in the fridge - it's supposed to set at room temp, so you shouldn't need to bring it back to room temp, unless you're storing it for a long time - like weeks, rather than days - then it should go in the fridge.

I usually have mine firm at room temp, and microwave it to get it spreadable.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 6:18am
post #11 of 12

AWhen people talk about ganache "hardening" on cake, how hard are we talking about? Crusted buttercream hard? Peanut butter hard? Fudge hard? Hershey bar hard?

Maybe it's a silly question, but I've tried ganache a couple times on cake, and both times I'd say it set up somewhere between dense fudge and a Hershey bar. Not so hard that it would snap like a shell, but way too hard to be pleasant to eat. Frankly, no one I know wants to eat frosting on a cake that is much harder than a fluffy peanut butter. Do I just know the wrong people, or what?

I like the consistency in the second video posted by MKC, but I guess that's just for spreading, and later it gets "hard"?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 6:31am
post #12 of 12

if you think about the chocolate ganache type topping on an old fashioned Hostess cream filled chocolate cupcake and that's the best way to describe how hard it can be without being snap & break chocolate bar hard.

it kind of depends on how much cream you put in and what type of chocolate you use.  Ganache is brilliant because of it's great wide range of textures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%