Crumb Coat Or 2 Coats Of Bc Under Fondant?

Decorating By MichellePonce Updated 29 Sep 2014 , 12:22pm by MichellePonce

MichellePonce Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 14

I was watching Buddy (cake boss) and he only puts a crumb coat under the buttercream before putting fondant. Do alot of people do this? Does it help with buttercream not sloshing around underneath? It would save me alot of time to only do one coat but i would be scared you may see it through the fondant.

13 replies
MichellePonce Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 14

I meant crumb coat of buttercream under the fondant

saharlatheef Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 14

I always put in two coats of buttercream, like you said I'm worried about it showing underneath the fondant if it's a light colored fondant and I think it's better for my customers as most of them don't prefer fondant even if it's MMF! 
:)

cai0311 Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 14

AI quit using buttercream under fondant, but when I did I used a full layer of buttercream. Now, I use white chocolate ganache. It holds up to the weight of fondant and doesn't slosh around.

dukeswalker Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 14

I crumb coat and then put a nice, thick layer of buttercream under my fondant.

mattyeatscakes Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 12:36am
post #6 of 14

ANever crumbcoated a cake, just a thick coating of SMBC, chill, and then fondant.

AZCouture Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 3:47am
post #7 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyeatscakes 

Never crumbcoated a cake, just a thick coating of SMBC, chill, and then fondant.

Yeeeeeep.

AZCouture Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 3:48am
post #8 of 14

I'd be pissed if I ordered a cake and all it had was a thin little layer of buttercream under the fondant. Extremely. I want just as much as there would be had it not been covered in fondant.

mcaulir Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 4:40am
post #9 of 14

AI use ganache, but I think that unless you're cutting you cake into giant wedges, you're not really getting the edge of the cake anyway. In fact, when I'm cutting my own cakes, I cut all the icing off the side of the cake to make it easier to get nicer slices. So most people are only getting the icing on the top of the cake anyway.

If I was using buttercream and worrying about it smoothing around, I'd do a crumbcoat amount on the outside and a thicker layer on top.

julia1812 Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 4:56am
post #10 of 14

AI use only a crumb coat underneath fondant. I roll my fondant to about 3mm thickness and never had any issues, even with colored BC under white fondant...

julia1812 Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 4:59am
post #11 of 14

AAZCouture: But there is enough buttercream between the layers. I think she's only asking about the surface of the cake...

morganchampagne Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 5:08am
post #12 of 14

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Yeeeeeep.

Original message sent by AZCouture

I'd be pissed if I ordered a cake and all it had was a thin little layer of buttercream under the fondant. Extremely. I want just as much as there would be had it not been covered in fondant.

Both of these. And I can PERSONALLY vouch for the fact people DO NOT LIKE a less than normal coat of buttercream under fondant. Found that out the hard way years ago. Cover a well chilled cake and there will be no sloshing. An all butter butttercreAm helps greatly

AZCouture Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 6:18am
post #13 of 14

A

Original message sent by morganchampagne

Both of these. And I can PERSONALLY vouch for the fact people DO NOT LIKE a less than normal coat of buttercream under fondant. Found that out the hard way years ago. Cover a well chilled cake and there will be no sloshing. An all butter butttercreAm helps greatly

No kidding! "Mmmm, go ahead and just put a thin layer on, we really just want all the fondant anyways!" Said no one. Ever.

MichellePonce Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 12:22pm
post #14 of 14

AYea I always put 2 layers cause a lot of people don't like fondant but thanks y'all cleared that up for me lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%