Let's Count The Roses!!!

Decorating By TheItalianBaker Updated 29 Sep 2014 , 1:37am by Norasmom

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 2:37am
post #1 of 10

hi all! I need to order roses to cover an 8" cake, about 4" tall, like the cake in the pic.

I think I can use 1" sugar roses and have 4 rows plus another on the edge, 125 roses total. These are the roses I'm gonna order http://caljavaonline.com/collections/tea-rose/products/small-tea-roses-red

Do you think I should order 1.5" roses instead? any tip?

9 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 3:09am
post #2 of 10

Let's try math... maybe... coverage can be strange.

pie x radius squared is the top, so on a 8" = 50" square area, top only

pie X diameter = circumference (25), so 8", cake, 4" high =100" square area, sides only

Total, you need to cover 150 square inches, so if the one inch actual is a "true" one inch, it looks like 150 needed.If you use 1.5 inch roses, you only need 100. 

Sorry, no cake hints, but looks cool! But wow expensive at 71 cents each. $107 in roses alone (free shipping? no breakage?)

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 10

This won't answer your question and will only complicate it but what if you had some 1 inch and some 1 1/2 inch.  The different sizes would look more natural and would help keep thinks staggered and fill in gaps.  Just a thought.

BeverleyWay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeverleyWay Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 10

Hi the Italian baker.  An 8" cake is not very large. If you made those roses out of royal icing yourself, it would only take you a morning to make them and in a dry environment they should be ready for use the next day (this will vary a bit so allow some additional time). All you need is a Wilton icing tip #104, a round Wilton  icing tip #7, piping bag, nozzle and coupler, icing sugar, coloring, eggs and waxed paper. It will cost you less than $10.00 or 8 EUR (converted) for your supplies and ingredients. You would need somewhere between 100 and 150 one inch roses - better to make the 150 to have some extra for backup.  Cost is so much better than your original cost, and if you are selling the cake, put all that extra into your pocket.

Making a rose is very very simple. It will take you only a couple minutes to make a couple trial ones, then you will start moving really fast and you will start thinking OMG why would I have bought these from somewhere else?

Try it you'll see what I mean! Of course, if you want them gum paste, it will take you longer per rose.

Here is one of my larger cakes with a similar look. Very very easy to make and a joy to transport. If you have a Kindle, you might be able to view the rose instructions for free by borrowing Elegant Dream Wedding Cakes from Amazon's library.  Amazon Italy  Amazon US. Of course you might find the rose instructions online with a search as well. Good luck! You can do it! Beverley Way

I did this cake for some good friends in Toronto.  There's quite a story behind it which is quite lengthy so I won't add it here.  The main points to the cake are that it has over 700 handcrafted royal icing roses, the bottom three tiers are real, the top 2 tiers were dummies, and the cake was  a white velvet butter cake with smooth lemon butter icing filling between layers. The filling contained finely grated fresh lemon peel and the cake was covered with pure white lemon flavored fondant.  I hope you like it!

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeverleyWay 

Hi the Italian baker.  An 8" cake is not very large. If you made those roses out of royal icing yourself, it would only take you a morning to make them and in a dry environment they should be ready for use the next day (this will vary a bit so allow some additional time). All you need is a Wilton icing tip #104, a round Wilton  icing tip #7, piping bag, nozzle and coupler, icing sugar, coloring, eggs and waxed paper. It will cost you less than $10.00 or 8 EUR (converted) for your supplies and ingredients. You would need somewhere between 100 and 150 one inch roses - better to make the 150 to have some extra for backup.  Cost is so much better than your original cost, and if you are selling the cake, put all that extra into your pocket.

Making a rose is very very simple. It will take you only a couple minutes to make a couple trial ones, then you will start moving really fast and you will start thinking OMG why would I have bought these from somewhere else?

Try it you'll see what I mean! Of course, if you want them gum paste, it will take you longer per rose.

Here is one of my larger cakes with a similar look. Very very easy to make and a joy to transport. If you have a Kindle, you might be able to view the rose instructions for free by borrowing Elegant Dream Wedding Cakes from Amazon's library.  Amazon Italy  Amazon US. Of course you might find the rose instructions online with a search as well. Good luck! You can do it! Beverley Way

I did this cake for some good friends in Toronto.  There's quite a story behind it which is quite lengthy so I won't add it here.  The main points to the cake are that it has over 700 handcrafted royal icing roses, the bottom three tiers are real, the top 2 tiers were dummies, and the cake was  a white velvet butter cake with smooth lemon butter icing filling between layers. The filling contained finely grated fresh lemon peel and the cake was covered with pure white lemon flavored fondant.  I hope you like it!

Unfortunately the customer already picked fondand flowers so I can't change it.. I just ordered 1" tea roses and spent around $150 but at least they are ready to go! thank you everybody!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 10

That is one lovely cake Beverly x

BeverleyWay Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 12:13am
post #7 of 10

Thank you! I am always a little uneasy posting my work since many of the cakes are quite large. My posting intent is not for competitive reasons and that is difficult to get across without meeting me. Hopefully over time as cakers get familiar with my posts here and elsewhere, they will realize that the above is not the case. Thank you cakebaby2! Beverley.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 12:36am
post #8 of 10

i also thought your cake is breathtaking, beverley, i love that's it's on a pedestal 'stand' while every tier is on an indented separation --

just stunning -- love your style --

best to you

and i agree that tib should make the roses for economy next time

BeverleyWay Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you! This was a pleasure to make.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 1:37am
post #10 of 10

beautiful cake!!!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%