Freezing Buttercream Cake & Cupcakes

Decorating By BuckeyeLauri Updated 28 Sep 2014 , 2:18am by AnnieCahill

BuckeyeLauri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuckeyeLauri Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 6

I just finished decorating a buttercream cake & cupcakes for a drop off this evening. As I'm messaging the client, I find out her son is sick & they are rescheduling the party for next weekend. Anyone know about freezing an already decorated cake & cupcakes? Thanks so much!

Lauri

5 replies
oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 6

AAbsolutely can be frozen. I had a similar issue last year. Just make sure they are wrapped very well.

cait1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cait1219 Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 6

I think you need to be sure to thaw in the fridge to cut down on the condensation during defrost.  I know some people have issues with colors bleeding/dripping if there's too much condensation. 

BuckeyeLauri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuckeyeLauri Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you! I am going to remove the fondant pieces and freeze the cake. My other concern is that I have edible 'sand' (nilla wafers & oreos) topping the cupcakes. I am assuming this will end up soggy if frozen?

cait1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cait1219 Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, if I make anything with oreos and store it in the fridge....even overnight....it ends up soggy.  They absorb all of the moisture that's surrounding it.  Any way to gently "scrape" most of it off before freezing, then apply new sand the day of the party?  If it's possible I would most definitely choose that route.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 2:18am
post #6 of 6

AFreezing fully decorated cakes works great if you wrap the box very well. Thaw it at room temperature IN the wrapper and box so condensation develops on the wrapper, not the cake. Your sand might get a little soggy but I don't think that's a big deal. You can always top them with fresh crumbs after they thaw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%