Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By KostasKakes Updated 29 Sep 2014 , 8:52pm by WickedGoodies

KostasKakes Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 11

I have made and frozen cakes with fondant before, but the thawing process is not good with the fondant.  It runs onto other colors and is a mess.  I am going to be shipping a frozen cake via FedEx (with dry ice), and was wondering if modeling chocolate would be better to freeze, or if it, too, runs when it thaws.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!  TIA

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 11

it would depend on how it's thawed (needs to be done gradually) and what kind of colorings and embellishments on are the cake -- so what are you planning?

KostasKakes Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 11

I planned to make a mine craft cake.  I was going to freeze it, wrap it in Saran wrap, then foil, then put it in a box that it fits snugly in.  I have styrofoam that lines the inside of a larger box, and was going to put dry ice between the two boxes.  It will be frozen when I ship it, and hopefully frozen when it gets there (Next Day).  Then, it will be refrigerated until the next morning.  I was hoping that after being in the fridge for awhile, it would be okay.  I just don't know whether the modeling chocolate runs and gets all gooey like fondant does.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 11

a sculptured cake? or with little pieces of minecraft items/people on it? that's a tall order -- not saying it's not possible but i mean even a traveling bundt cake is risky -- the bundt cake is frozen and there's a form fitting foam/cardboard top bottom and sides so that it will not budge and break -- encasing it in foam is not enough -- needs to be form fitting without crushing it :-D it's going to get sloshed and jarred and dropped and manhandled so you have to prepare it for a hard ride --

consider minecraft cookies - much easier to ship --

or a simple cake with some great decor that can be place on after arrival --

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 11

but with the right packaging you might could have success -- i have foam cutters and i make exact packaging for my cut out cookies but i would not ship a cake -- just too risky and the cookies are a nice special message and i add some fudge or some honey cashew cookies -- something really spunky and tasty that travels well --

but you might have good success don't let me stand in your way -- but your packaging has to be more than spot on-- if you can shake the package and the cake will not get banged up inside you're good to go -

best to you

MBalaska Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 12:05am
post #6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by KostasKakes 

I have made and frozen cakes with fondant before, but the thawing process is not good with the fondant.  It runs onto other colors and is a mess.  I am going to be shipping a frozen cake via FedEx (with dry ice), and was wondering if modeling chocolate would be better to freeze, or if it, too, runs when it thaws.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!  TIA

Very timely question for me actually, as I just delivered some cupcakes that had modeling chocolate leaves on top.  I had them in the freezer in clamshell containers.  I took them out last night to thaw.  Just for a friend, not selling them mind you.  The little leaves looked like they were completely covered with a morning dew - lots of water condensation spots on the mc.

I normally don't freeze something with modeling chocolate decorations, and today I'm reminded why.

WickedGoodies Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 11

Anything with food coloring will run when it thaws from freezer temp. However there is one trick: If the minecraft cake is perfectly square like they often are, then it is feasible to ship it on dry ice and thaw it without colors running. The trick is to not remove the plastic wrap until the last minute. Tell the recipient to remove the foil and place the cake in the fridge with the plastic wrap still on. Allow the cake to thaw from freezer to fridge temperature just like that and then all the condensation will accumulate on the outside of the plastic wrap instead of on the cake. Then when it comes time to take the cake out of the fridge and put it out on display, they should gently remove the plastic, carefully so as not to drip on the cake.

This trick works best with cakes that are covered in modeling chocolate in such a way as you can completely seal out the air, so standard cylinder or square cakes do well with it. It's not as effective when the top of the cake has 3D decorations all over it that prevent you from getting a good seal - like MBalaska's cupcakes with leaves on top (hi, MBalaska :smile: sorry to hear about your dewy cupcakes!). In cases like that, it's better to wait until the product has thawed before placing modeling chocolate decorations on top. 

Incidentally, this same trick also applies to fondant-covered cakes. As long as you create a barrier for the condensation, it cannot occur on the surface of the cake. 

MBalaska Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGoodies 

".....with leaves on top (hi, MBalaska :smile: sorry to hear about your dewy cupcakes!). In cases like that, it's better to wait until the product has thawed before placing modeling chocolate decorations on top......"

@WickedGoodies It's always great to read your posts on modeling chocolate.  Normally I just freeze the cupcakes, let them thaw, then put the mc decorations on top.  Everyone raves about the fragrance and taste of the mc decorations so it is well worth it.

I should say that when there's a correct, successful way to use modeling chocolate that I'd wish for people to learn the correct way...........so they can enjoy the delicious beautiful medium and not avoid it.

WickedGoodies Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 11

MBalaska I was wondering if you have a website or facebook page because you are awesome and I would like to follow you on other places besides Cake Central.

MBalaska Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGoodies 

MBalaska I was wondering if you have a website or facebook page because you are awesome and I would like to follow you on other places besides Cake Central.

@WickedGoodies I'm a home baker who's enjoying playing with my food.  I'm also one of your happy customers having purchased you book, which changed my decorating in amazing ways.

As I'm also a delighted customer of other CC members who are in business, such as Mimi Fix, Kara Buntin, Sharon Zambito, Nicholas Lodge, Jennifer Bratko, Jamie Hoffman, Jennifer Dontz.  I'm a student-trainee who is along for the ride to better decorating, and enjoying the journey.

This is my only adventure into internet stuff, and do not own a business, so my photos on CC are all that there is.  I'm pretty much maxed out just reading the posts and viewing the photos on this website. :)  

WickedGoodies Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 11

MBalaska I'm so glad to hear that you get great enjoyment out of this craft and that my modeling chocolate book has been helpful to you. Thank you for spreading the good word! I always appreciate your feedback and contributions to the chat forums. Rock on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%