Will Gum Paste Melt/ Soften Inside Buttercream?

Decorating By julia1812 Updated 7 Oct 2014 , 11:37am by -K8memphis

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 8

AAm planning to do a surfer cake

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 8

i don't know the answer to your question and i'm not saying it won't work because i don't know -- but i can say that i would not do this the way i think you're saying you're gonna do it --

what is egg white gum paste?

i would build up some cake or cookies or rice krispie treats or a combination and maybe stick a curled fondant piece on top of that and ice it in the right colors etc. i'd use cornstarch laden fondant because it has a little give to it even when it's bone dry that gum paste does not have -- the fondant will 'flex' and hold where the gum paste tends to crack in crucial times like that -- and of course we all do everything differently but that's my take on it --

julia1812 Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 4:24am
post #3 of 8

AThanks for your reply, Kate. I thought about the other options but since it is a rather small cake, a cake wave is not really an option. I think fondant or gum paste are good, because they can be rolled thin, high and dried in the shape I need. Like the fact about fondant being more flexible that you brought up. Just dropped a tray with mini gum paste unicorn and they shattered like glass in 1000 pieces

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 11:26am
post #4 of 8

high thin rkt maybe -- but curled over no it won't do that for any length of time for you -- not stable --

just depends on how tall you're gonna make it -- but you are of course considerably defying gravity and yes the moisture content will work against you -- putting buttercream or piping gel onto it is where it gets extra dicey-- think of it like a big bow that you need to dry and apply to your cake where the 'bow' or the curl of the wave is already colored and ready to go except for some royal icing accents --

and if the wave was a little more of an upside down 'v' shape or upside down 'u' shape so it just peaks there in the middle --cheat on it that way if you can -- maybe that will help balance it out better --

i would knead in a lot of cornstarch -- and i'd get most of my coloring done in the fondant -- rather than use it as the base to be decorated-- just add some royal icing froth --  

and i think i would build it with some skewers sticking out of the bottom of it so you can anchor it into the cake -- set it up on some cake scraps so it looks all continuous -- 

completely submerged/covered in buttercream is not necessary and more risky -- just make the curl come out the top of 'the water' and the swell of the wave should be cake/rkt covered in royal and buttercream then stick in the curl which will be anchored into the cake -- riding high out the top --

you can do this but i'd assemble it as last minute as possible too even though i'd be so anxious to see it all set up :-D

can't wait for a picture

julia1812 Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 8

ABrilliant. Thanks K8! I actually made it blue/ white marbled, so that's good. And royal icing highlights are a super idea!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 8

:-D surf's up!

julia1812 Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 10:21am
post #7 of 8

A[IMG ALT="Surfer cake"]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3292504/width/350/height/700[/IMG] Well, yesterday was THE day of my surfer cake for my friends birthday party. I made a carrot cake with coconut cream cheese frosting, frosted the cake AND the gum paste wave, placed the wave on top of the cake and drove to the party. The wave actually was perfectly upright, even after hours of waiting for some delayed guests. Someone tried to cut a piece of cake (the wave was still on top of it) and couldn't cut through because it was still rock hard (I then took it off

-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 11:34am
post #8 of 8

YAY!! your wave is wonderful --- the board and flower are so pretty -- flip flops on the beach of course -- great cake well done -- and congrats on getting the gum paste to work out so perfectly for you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%