Non-Edible Gold Leaf

Decorating By beckybakes617 Updated 25 Sep 2014 , 3:30am by klan30

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 10:24am
post #1 of 6

I'm thinking about experimenting with gold leaf. It's going to be used on a dummy cake. Can I apply non-edible gold leaf for this, will it still need to be applied the same way as the edible gold leaf, and does it still look the same?

Thank you :-)

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 10:40am
post #2 of 6

AYou can use non edible gold leaf on dummies, sure,but it doesn't handle the same way as real gold leaf. It's sturdier and not as interested in grabbing onto everything in sight. That can be an advantage, but if you get used to that then try to work with culinary grade gold leaf you'll have to adjust to handling it a lot more carefully. You might want to buy one book of edible gold leaf and a book of craft gold leaf and see what i mean...it looks slightly different too, but not enough to care about. They're both metallic but culinary grade doesn't have any other metals included, so it's not as dark. It's a negligible difference visually, though.

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for the information, just what I needed. :-) 

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 6

I recently wanted to use gold on a cake dummy with out the high cost of the edible gold.  So I ordered my gold leaf and when it came it was not loose like the edible silver leaf I had used.  I had to use a spray craft glue on the fondant and then place the gold leaf in order to get it off the sheet.  Just don't use to much glue, as it will eat into the fondant.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 12:59am
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by klan30 

I recently wanted to use gold on a cake dummy with out the high cost of the edible gold.  So I ordered my gold leaf and when it came it was not loose like the edible silver leaf I had used.  I had to use a spray craft glue on the fondant and then place the gold leaf in order to get it off the sheet.  Just don't use to much glue, as it will eat into the fondant.

Those are transfer sheets, not loose sheets. I use the transfer sheets because they're easier to deal with when you're moving them around the sides of a cake. You need to make sure you know what you're ordering or you cn get the wrong thing, or even worse, you might get flakes, not sheets.

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 3:30am
post #6 of 6

yes, it always helps if you know what your buying.  ha, ha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%