Baking Things You're Glad You Did Once…but Won't Do Again

Lounge By Norasmom Updated 24 Sep 2014 , 5:09pm by LisaPeps

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 1:30am
post #1 of 5

The title is the question.  For me It was baking and deliver a tiered cake for 200 people.  I learned my limits.  The cake came out well and I was paid nicely, but I figured out 100 people would be my personal limit due to how long it took, how heavy the cake was and how much more I enjoy making smaller cakes.

I also wish that the town I live in had not notified my neighbors that I was "opening a cake business."  this was required by our zoning board.  Everyone asks me how the cake business is going, but it's what I consider a paid hobby.  So I just say "doing well." :D  I don't market or do weddings and refuse to do sheet cakes  LOL  I only legalized my kitchen so I could accept money on my orders.   I want to stay small, referral only and maintain my sanity…and, like many others,I also have another job.

So what is everyone else's "cake business regret?"

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 5

i think one of my big cake business regrets is that i could not have a cake business from my home when we moved here -- although ironically enough i can see a ton of silver linings looking back now -- as a business it is so  labor intensive bordering on back breaking for a solo operation and hearltess in the sense that your family waves bye bye to go bowling while you're slogged down in icing, crumbs and dirty dishes --

so getting to work for others because i had to was really cool -- they have all the headache and all you have to do is straight up decorate -- best of both worlds -- when you finish -- you go home and it's done -- nice and separate so it's not back breaking to your heart -- 

and petit fours are like kryptonite to me -- help meeeeee cahhn't breath aghhh sputter fpt...

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 5

It's true K8, I much prefer to work for others.  Less money but the people you work for take the hits (and the success, as well.)  It's hard because we are living in a society that stresses the word "leadership" like I've never seen before.  I'm being bombarded with messages to teach my daughter to be a leader.  I am re-defining my definition of that word….

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 5

it might be less money -- although not always -- but with the added benefit of being able to put out a "closed" sign where mentally and physically you're not 'at work' which is priceless -- 

re: leadership -- good idea to re-define that --

if all the kids are being taught to be leaders who's following -- i think i'd emphasize to her to lead herself and that would be a good definition of a leader -- not looking to the right or the left -- plowing on moving forward no matter who is in front or behind -- and they need the freedom and the space to become what they will become -- idk i got carried away there a bit -- :smile:

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 5

Ombre inside a cake! what a PITA!! Ombre outside as well actually, so much icing wasted making sure you've got enough for each gradient. Pffttt never again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%